Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Where my phone goes dead

A Saga
SUNDAY: 
Verizon's new Fiber Optic wires are on fire.  I go home to get my camera, but fire truck is now there and they shoo me away.  I watch the firemen throw snowballs at the fire (I am not making that up).
I  call Verizon and say, ''Hey your phone wires are on fire ..." (This takes approx 20 minutes to accomplish - automated phone call Hell)
On closer inspection it appears that firemen  may also have peed on the burning insulation?
MONDAY -
Maybe 12 different  follow-up calls to Verizon, each taking 20 minutes, I will not elaborate, because you've been there (if not, call your phone company and stay with it until you can tell a human being, "''Have a nice day.''  Log the time).  

2PM
Marion acknowledges that there is a problem with the FIOS  line, and promises to call me back at 4PM with a prognosis.  She never does.

TUESDAY - 7AM,
Am told that there is a wire problem and ETR (Est Time Repair) is 4PM.
TUESDAY - 4PM
Been there all day, nobody in sight
I look in the window of the front truck and some guy is leaning on a bench doing something.  I am encouraged to see that he is not eating donuts in a hammock. Still, no voice contact.
Around the corner this guy is on his cellphone . When he sees me he jumps out of the truck (which means he was talking to his girl friend) and tells me there was a fire on the wire and it should be repaired  sometime today.

I think one problem is that only fiber optic (FIOS) customers are affected, and I am the only FIOS customer at this point in time.  It's Hell being a pioneer.


WED: 1:33 AM CONNECTION!
I enjoyed the vacation, but am immediately horrified at amount of e-mail.  The last mail I actually downloaded was Jan 16th as it is.  Yikes.

15 comments:

Kenneth said...

I thought you were the one who showed us how to bypass the automata to begin with, but gethuman.com lists this as the line to use for Verizon phone repair.

800-275-2355 Direct to human.

Anonymous said...

Very glad to see you back online and making it through the snow storm. I'm NOT addicted to this web-page....I can quit at any time.... *twitching from withdrawl*

Spunky Texan said...

I was begining to think you went hunting with Dick...

Anonymous said...

The fire may have been set by those commie bastards as a diversion. What else was going on while your attention was on the Verizon doings.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

My backup disks are missing

Anonymous said...

When I last commented (regarding your fiber optic connection) that your PC must be smoking...I now see that I under estimated the connection. WOW! joyce

Anonymous said...

I was worried about you.

Well, actually, I was worried about you not being able to provide me with good humor and commentary in the future.

That's close enough, right?

Anonymous said...

Ok Rodger I owe you an apology for all the nagging emails I sent demanding to know if you were OK!!
I was imagining all sorts of bad scenarios- ( a by-product of being a mother).
Glad you are back up and running. I love snow, don't you?
TFV

Anonymous said...

ok..I bet the good citizen who called the fire dept used 911.Get a clue folks....this was not a emergency..put your damn cell phone away.What did you expect the fire service to do?Put water on electrical wires?They may have been phone wires but I tell you..they didn't catch fire from a telephone current.So if you want to put water on it go ahead and have someone standing by to call 911 for a real emergency...we'll be right there to do cpr .

Rodger the Real King of France said...

TFV, your e-mails go directly to the must read file. Thanks for the concern, I want some cookies and milk.

Anonymous said...

How about a nice bedtime story too?
TFV

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Patriot Games. The toads in the snow were trying to cut off your communication before attacking. How the heck else does a fiber optic line catch fire?

Anonymous said...

FYI..Fiber optic cabels contain wire for strength.The power lines above it have a snow laden tree branch fall on to it which falls on to the fiber optic cable and there you have it.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

and a tuck-in too

Anonymous said...

Last fall had a problem with our internet connection the day after we up-graded from high-speed to light-speed connection. My wife noticed, called for service, and was told to get down on the floor, go behind the computer, pull out and re-connect everything! As it was late, as she was due for knee surgery, and she was just generally po'd, she hung up the phone. I called the next morning; when they checked they found a problem on the line. The next day (now day 3) a really (no sarcasm here!) great repairman showed up. He suspected water in the lines out on the main street (everything here is underground). Home office said it wasn't. Next day (4th and counting) he has to get a permit to open up a manhole - and there is water in the line! Which puts us to day 5. Finally fixed - and the modem blows out! Seems it was overstressed just giving us general service for what might have been a month. New modum, updated, out of the back of the truck, at no charge. And the guy won't take a tip! OldeForce

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.