Sunday, March 19, 2006

You're not the boss of me.

The term "Ten Commandments" came up in today's homily, and it reminded me how I simply cannot understand why anybody would object to their display? I began thinking of people I know, who get their panties bunched up over this subject, and what I think their objections would be. BTW, try doing a search for "The Ten Commandments," - I mean, just a simple list. Took me forever. I know, there are permutations, but these are what I grew up with. They're all the same after a fashion.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

   WHY THEY HATE IT
1

I am the Lord thy God and thou shalt not have any strange gods before me.

I have an IQ of 168, a degree in sociology, and I don't believe in Santa..  You're not the boss of me.
2 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.    WTF? JHC!
3 Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
Every day is "Lord's" day, because this - see all this?  This is mine.  I earned it. I am the Lord around here.
4 Honor thy Father and Mother.
That is so excluding.  What about kids who don't know who their father is? What if your mother was a cheap bastard who bought shoes from JC Penny instead of the Bass Weejuns you asked for?.
5 Thou shalt not kill.
Oh, like the so called ''Christians" who murdered Tookie Williams?
6 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
What consenting adults do is my business. I mean, their business.
7 Thou shalt not steal.
Do you mean shoplifting from the Wal-Mart oppressor?  Or ripping oil from the Earth Mother?
8 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
That's perjury, right?  Like "Holy-Boy" Bush lying about  going to war for his oil buddies?
9 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.
Have you seen Phil Moore's wife bend over in her garden? I didn't think so.
10 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods. You're not the boss of me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jolly good one, Rodger. What they hate, in a nutshell: "You're not the boss of me." But are 'they' this smart? In tribute to Sunday-

1 Samuel 2:3
Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
joyce

Anonymous said...

Christian summary of Ten Commandments:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Leftist summary:
Ten commandments and regular laws are for dumb conservative people, but only suggestions for me, 'cause like, you know, I'm just sooo smart an' don't nobody tell me what to do, and I mean, 'cuz like, I need stuff now, not later.

Lt. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

Dick: Yeah, I've always just followed that simple rule. I consider that list of ten to be examples of The Golden Rule.

heh

Anonymous said...

You've heard this one:
The difference between a Conservative and a Liberal is that the former believe IN God while the latter believe they ARE god.

This whole thing about 'religion' has been a war of 'the gods'. God began with Israel when he said 'Hear O Israel, the Lord thy God is one." And the First Commandment lays the foundation by stating just that.
I like your reference too Joyce. Good one.
Psalm 2 has an answer to those who refuse God:
1 Why do the nations rage? Why do the people waste their time with futile plans? 2 The kings of the earth prepare for battle; the rulers plot together against the LORD and against his anointed one. 3 "Let us break their chains," they cry, "and free ourselves from this slavery." 4 But the one who rules in heaven laughs. The Lord scoffs at them. 5 Then in anger he rebukes them, terrifying them with his fierce fury. 6 For the LORD declares, "I have placed my chosen king on the throne in Jerusalem, my holy city."

Sure am glad I'm not kicking against the goads. Sure is good to know the Lord who by his mercy and grace alone has saved me. Amen.

Retired Geezer said...

Yeah, what JamesP said.
No Murder... not No Killing.

Good post, I linked it at blogidaho.com

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.