Thursday, September 21, 2006

Searchers

Duke, Nukem!

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was required reading in my 10th grade English class.  Our teacher, a Mrs. Setien if I recall, led several days of class discussion about the book.  One of the reasons I sat in the back of her class was to avoid ever being called on, but the law of averages would catch up, as it did this day. Asked to give class an opinion on something or another, from a chapter I hadn't read, I instead cited this admonition from the book's Frontispiece.

    NOTICE
 PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.

     BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR,
Per G.G., Chief of Ordnance.

She flushed red, and I earned a final grade of D from her, thus ending forever my dream of attending Harvard College on scholarship. This perspective on the John Wayne film [The Searchers at 50] by Sean Higgins shook that incident from my memory tree.

The Searchers is my favorite John Wayne movie.  I recall  a 1980's discussion by Siskel and Ebert (before Ebert became consumed by PC-itis) where one of them opined that the film couldn't be made today, because of the Wayne character's abiding hatred for Injuns who had kidnapped two nieces.  I watched my VCR copy right then, and thought WTF!  It's just a good movie, faithful to its time, so  STFU all of you. Bang-bang.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come I get a WalMart notice stating song license not available? Hmmm??? I know can here or see anything else.. JUice

Anonymous said...

His change of heart is unexplained??
Dang Liberals ARE heartless projecting their preduduces on everyone else. Ethen's change of heart for his niece is because of his love for his niece...
Rob in AK

The whole story was one of 20 plus year blood feud between Commanche & the Pioneers. Martin's mother's scalp is on Scar's coup stick.
It's a great movie, equal to or greater than True Grit-no Liberal's seem to love THAT film--all the bad guys die.
More from a Long Winded Rob in AK

Rodger the Real King of France said...

F.U. Wal-mart , it's back to peer-to-peer trading for me. Try it now Juice. BTW, what is the best P2P program out there now?

Anonymous said...

Gold star Rodger. Great song, great movie. (It's the only Duke movie I ever liked, although it's a bit long and slow by today's standards.)
This is a sickness in our society today--not recognizing your own side in a conflict.
mary

Howard said...

Without a doubt a classic....

Anonymous said...

Try BitTorrent, Rodger.

Not the fastest or most comprehensive, but you won't infest your system with unnamed virii just by installing it.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Anonymous said...

P2P: for the popular stuff, use bittorrent, for the less widespread stuff, use emule.

Emule has build-in search, while you need to get your torrents from a torrent site, say piratebay.org.

Anonymous said...

Ignore the 2005 date, this is what you want:
http://www.shareaza.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm awake here in PST, so here I am in the aquarium. :) Yep, got to see and hear it this time. Great song select. The Duke. All American. From days gone by.
Thanks, Juice

Anonymous said...

i have watched the Searchers some 30 plus times...

still one of the best all time...

Rodger the Real King of France said...

http://www.shareaza.com/

Got it, and it seems to work ...

Thanks.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.