Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Quick Ribs

Today's Top Secret
One Hour Ribs To Die For
 Sorry, this was all that was left.
Here was the situation - last minute dinner plans need making.  I have two racks of ribs, frozen. Here's what I did.

  1. Thawed ribs in the microwave (using the thaw button), just until I could bend them. Frozen cold will work fine, if they fit. I had baby back, well a little bigger than baby back, more like adolescent back.  We buy them at BJ's.

  1. This is key, and not many do it.  The back of the ribs are covered with a membrane.  Work a sharp knife under it until you can get fingers in there and peel it off. Here's some pictures (and a competing recipe)
  2. I was out of Schlong rub, so I used Bayou seasoning that I buy in bulk.  Use what ever suits you.  Rub it vigorously into the ribs, top and bottom.
  3. Fold the ribs into a pressure cooker. Don't have one? OMG, get one, it has so many uses. Boiling leaves them rubbery, better to just soak them in urine for two hours. Ugh. Go to the bathroom, wash your hands.  Find your shoes, get some dog treats and take your dog on a walk.
  4. When you get back - about 20-25  minutes, turn the pressure cooker off, and let it sit - until about an hour before you'll want to eat them (keeps them very moist).

  1. These babies will be very falling off the bone tender.  Carefully remove the ribs and place them on a cookie sheet, top down.
This step is for wet ribs, which we like. 
  1. You can screw around with home recipes if you want, but Cattleman's Barbecue Sauce is special.  It just became available to the retail trade a few years ago, and is estimated to be the sauce base for barbecue recipes in about 80% of America's restaurants.  but, suit yourself.
  2. Pour a glob on the back side, then sprinkle some liquid hickory smoke. Use a paint brush to distribute evenly.
  3. Repeat on the top side.
  4. Broil them for about 5 minutes.

My family are rib connoisseurs, and Hucker is a restaurateur.  He, his mother, and even I said these were the best ribs we ever had.  Huck was stunned to learn that they had not been grilled (the liquid smoke).  My eldest son likes his ribs chewy, so he might not like these, but man-o-man, I can't see how. And, I don't know why this is, but they are so rich cooked this way that just a half rack apiece filled us up. Mrs. Hucker is not fond of ribs, so I made her grilled pork tenderloin. Oh yeah, serve with cole slaw.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought about a pressure cooker Rodger and am now more inclined to get one.Just ignore that vibration in your monitor and speakers.Just my stomach growling.Best regards.

Anonymous said...

Do you put any water in the pressure cooker? I've recently rediscovered mine that was a wedding gift (22 years yesterday BTW).

I've cooked corned beef brisket in it and it's really tender!

TFV

Rodger the Real King of France said...

It takes about 7-8 minutes for the water to build up enough steam to create that pressure, and since I turn it off after about 25 minutes, it's really only blowing steam for 15 minutes or so, so a cup of water ought to do it, but I use maybe a pint or more. I'm wondering, besides watermelon, what do you pressure cook that doesn't require water? :D

Congrats on your anniversary, btw. Well done.

Anonymous said...

You cook watermelon? That's just wrong!

How big is your cooker? Must be pretty big if 2 whole racks fit in.

Thanks for congrat-- It's hard to believe- I was only 12 when we married- ha!

TFV

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Mother Superior was 6 - I narrowly avoided jail (I was 78 at the time).

Wrap the ribs around the inside ...

Anonymous said...

Your recipe is fantastic. The tip on Cattleman's is appreciated. We have been slow cooking our ribs using indirect heat in the Weber grill, making sauce from scratch, soaking the ribs in red wine vinegar for hours before cooking. We likely won't go back. We did use a little red wine vinegar in the water, don't know if that helped.

Anyway, thanks. I enjoy your blog, I think linked from Kim.

Best

Mark - Charlevoix, Michigan

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.