Saturday, June 16, 2007

Let's Hang Harry - All in favor?

A man with honor v. A man with none

Pace v. Reid


The Field of Honor
I recently found out that the reason my nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize has been tabled is my oft expressed desire to put a noose around several of my countryman's necks.  Sigh. These crapulent commentaries are not my fault.  No person with even a modicum of love for country could overlook the wretched behavior of people like Harry Reid, a man who legitimately deserves to be "Mussolinied
Pelosi to the Right

"  To wit.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid called Marine Gen. Peter Pace, the outgoing chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, "incompetent" during an interview Tuesday with a group of liberal bloggers, a comment that was never reported.

Reid made similar disparaging remarks about Army Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said several sources familiar with the interview.

This is but the latest example of how Reid, under pressure from liberal activists to do more to stop the war, is going on the attack against President Bush and his military leaders in anticipation of a September showdown to end U.S. involvement in Iraq, according to Democratic senators and aides. [Captains Quarters]

My fantasy is that General Pace will call Reid out to the field of honor, another tradition which, like "men only "clubs, was done away with by churlish women and other girlymen with no honor, and no stones. This is the man that Reid, who sells his vote to the highest bidder, had the gall to cast aspersion upon.


Gen. Peter Pace Speaks   [W. Thomas Smith Jr.]

Last night, during a Q&A following remarks by Gen. Peter Pace at The Joint Forces Staff College in Norfolk, Virginia, the general was asked the following question:

My question is about what many folks at the reception tonight viewed as the very disappointing news about your replacement as chairman. I wonder why you believe that is happening, and what are your thoughts about the process by which we choose the nation’s top military uniformed officer?

General Pace responds:

I will tell you the truth as I know it, and that is around the middle of May, within a day or two of the Secretary learning from certain members of Congress that there may be a problem to renominate me, he brought me in the office and sat me down and said “Pete, this is what’s happening. I want to renominate you. I want you to know that this is what I’m beginning to hear, this is what I’m going to go do, this is how I’m going to go do it."

He went out and did exactly what he said on television, and exactly what he’s been saying in his interviews, which is he went out and pulsed various members of Congress and he heard back from them the things that he said that he heard.

He and I sat down, and I said “I’m a Marine…If you want me to go forward with the confirmation process, I’m all for it.”

I also told him that what he needed to do, in my opinion, was what was best for the institution, and whatever he and the president decided was going to be best for the institution was what Pete Pace was going to do. Oh and by the way, I can read the Constitution, which says the president gets to nominate and the Senate gets to confirm, or not, and neither one of those two things is going to happen, therefore I’m not staying.

One thing that was discussed was whether or not I should just voluntarily retire and take the issue off the table. I said I could not do that for one very fundamental reason and that is that PFC Pace in Baghdad should not think – ever – that his chairman, whoever that person is, could have stayed in the battle and voluntarily walked off the battlefield. That is unacceptable as a leadership thing in my mind.

So I elected not to submit my request for retirement until after it was publicly known that I was no longer going to be renominated.

That is very important to me. The other part that is important to me is personal. The first piece holds true for anybody in this position – anybody.

The other piece for me personally was that some 40 years ago I left some guys on the battlefield in Vietnam who lost their lives following 2nd Lt. Pace. And I promised myself then that I will serve this country until I was no longer needed — that it’s not my decision. I need to be told that I’m done.

I’ve been told I’m done.

I will run through the finish line on 1 October, and when I run through the finish line I will have met the mission I set for myself.


Gen Pace interview via Marc Miller


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

General Pace, and men like him, are the reason I will regret to my death not having served. I could have walked with men like him and would have considered it the honor of a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. From the steaming pile that is Reid (gag. that's my maiden name) to the gleaming pillar that is Gen. Pace.
Thanks for this contrast in black and white.

Anonymous said...

I will have to say i enjoyed taking thugs off the streets especially those that hurt people by serving FFJ warrants. But the greatest time of my life was the 16 Years I spent in the Army I had comradeship and trust and brotherly spirit with honorable men that you find only in Airborn and Ranger units or in combat arms. I have not experienced it since. I still miss it. I also feel that in regard to many that post and prowl this blog and Sondra's as well. Good people i would trust for the most part. That also includes those that do not always agree with me as well.

Anonymous said...

General Pace, General Petraeus, Senator Lieberman, President Bush, these fine troops: There are people in important positions who do remember what this country stands for.

Anonymous said...

Reid's bio is here:
http://reid.senate.gov/about/biography.cfm

Looks like he has NEVER DONE ANY SERVICE (can anyone check up on that??)

"After high school, some businessmen in Henderson helped him go on to college, an act of generosity that Harry Reid would work hard to repay in the coming years."

---wonder who those 'businessmen' were and what he did to 'repay' them.... nothin' like a critique from someone who's NEVER been there....

Anonymous said...

Reid, a complete disgrace, is not worth the sweat on General Pace's ass.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree reid is simply a scumbag and a disgrace. I cannot begin to express my disapointment that Bush has allied himself with that trash.

Anonymous said...

A trifle of advice for anyone speaking to a Democrat politician.

Wear a wire, record every word.

Do I need to give any argument or reasons?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.