Monday, August 27, 2007

Oil Pressure Cooking

 Cooking Under Pressure

I may have told parts of  this story so I'll be brief.  When I was a kid we went to a corner restaurant that was supposedly serving the best fried chicken in the world, and it was.  After dinner the owner began to schmooze with my mom, who schmoozed  with everybody, and  told  how he came to learn this fabulous recipe.

 It seems a guy showed up one day and offered to make him the best chicken he'd ever had.   He brought in his paraphernalia / supplies, and went to work.  "He cooked it in a pressure cooker, but in oil, " our host exclaimed.  The idea horrified my mother.   Cooking oil in a pressure cooker was, well - you might as well just drop that atom bomb, because it was gonna explode and kill everyone.  Never would try it herself, although we tried..  She would remind us, when we pestered her, that the man said the key was in the secret herbs and spices, not the pressure cooker, and then the killer, "I thought you loved my chicken?"   The traveling cook, you've  probably surmised, was Mr. H. Sanders, not yet a Kentucky Colonel.

Her attitude about pressure cookers and oil stayed with me, until I found this..

My questions: Can we safely use our home pressure cookers with oil to pressure cook chicken, or other foods? If so are any modifications necessary? Where do we find directions and pressures to use and recipes? If not safe to do so; What is the danger?

Cliff Answers:

About cooking chicken in a regular pressure cooker: I do it all the time. I cook all kinds of meat, but I find frying chicken by this method quite tasty and flavorful. Here's how you do it


I just tried it, and holy crap, it is pretty close to what KFC Chicken was once, but hasn't been for over 40 years.  Get your destructions above, but here's  some pictures of my experience.  Oh, Mother Superior agrees that this chicken is way, way good.  Now that I have the drill down, I can turn out a batch in about 20 minutes. This dinner prolly cost me $2.00, and that includes mashed taters and homemade slaw - all better than KFC.
Each picture is a rollover to save space.
TOP PHOTO -
Heat oil to 350°.

FLIP PHOTO -
The technique I use is to soak the chicken in milk.  That prepares the skin to hold onto the coating.  I dredge the chicken in my flour, shake off the excess, immerse it into a egg/milk bath and dredge again, shaking off excess.  This should  produce a  crispy crust. You can skip the second layer if you like.

TOP PHOTO -
Five breaded thighs at rest.

FLIP PHOTO -
As soon as the oil reached 350° I put in the chicken.  I was able to get 5 pieces in during practice, but once the first piece goes into hot oil,  there's so much bubbling going on that you can't see to place the pieces with any precision.  This resulted in some mild sticking of the crusts.  Let it cook like this for a minute, ( remove the thermometer) then put the lid on..


TOP PHOTO -
It took maybe 3-4 minutes for the bobber thing to start bobbing and hissing,  At that point I reduced the heat to medium and set the timer to 10 minutes.

FLIP PHOTO -
I was distracted by something so it was probably 11-12 minutes before I put the cooker in a sink filled with water and hosed it down.  Took about 30 seconds for the pressure to relieve. 

TOP PHOTO -
The oil is still boiling when you remove the pressure cooker cover.  If you want to make another batch, just add a few TBSP of oil and you're half-way there.

FLIP PHOTO -
Here's the product.  Looks pretty darn good to me, but I think one minute less and it's perfect.

TOP PHOTO -
Here's another benefit.  Look how clean that oil is.

FLIP PHOTO -
Here's where I said a bad word.  Was putting it in the oven (170°) to keep warmish until dinner when it slipped .... .  Of course there's no way I could  serve it now, so I threw it all out and made another batch that looks exactly like this one.  :)

  PS- The chicken was in the oven for about 90 minutes before we ate it. The meat was tender and moist; the crust, near perfect.

11 comments:

MoFiZiX Gr4FiX said...

Hey Rodge,
Mamma uses a straight egg batter with a tablespoon of club soda. Then she mixes her breading using a little salt, ground pepper, paprika, cumin and Aunt Jamima pancake mix instead of flour. After soaking the pieces in the batter, she sets em on a tray in the fridge for bout a half hour then breads em, soaks em again and back in the fridge for another half hour and breads em again before dropping em the deep frier. EXTRA-EXTRA CRISPY!!! She's always complaining that she needs a pressure cooker for them to turn out better and now I know why! You jest sold me on what to get Momma this year for Christmas. THANKS!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I had been looking for a pressure cooker on ebay for just such use. I remember Grandma and others cooking chicken that way when I was a kid. I also think I can build a pretty good still.....

Tim

Anonymous said...

Rog: when I escaped MD for York Co. PA I discovered the wonder of what they call up there "broasted" chicken, which is the method you've discovered. STG, it makes the best fried yardbird you'll ever have. Astoundingly moist. It's easy to get in private diners in south central PA, they sometimes mention that they offer it on their signs. They often warn it will take a little longer for your order for some reason, I suspect in slow times the cooker may not be on unless there's an order and it takes a few minutes to heat up. Trust, me it's worth the wait.

Drooooool. Now I want some.

Annoyed White Male

Rodger the Real King of France said...

MoFiZiX Gr4FiX, I'm doing that next time. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Having handled many insurance fire losses involving frying foods, I'll leave this up to you. I would point out that if you have a gas oven, keeping the food warm there will make the chicken soggy. (No worries if it's an electric oven).

And what, no buttermilk?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Good points John O. I never have buttermilk so I add vinegar to whole milk, but I didn't have white vinegar yesterday. I have an electric oven, but you are spot on about the moisture given off by gas.

Anonymous said...

I have to second AWM's comment. You've stumbled on the patented process of broasting. My dad had a restaurant where this was one of the most popular items.

http://www.broaster.com/

Try quartering baking potatos longways, and cooking them with the chicken. I've never had them anywhere else, simply fabulous. Did you use peanut oil? That's what dad used, and yes he used the patented spices, which can still be purchased from the manufacturer.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I'd never heard of Broasting, but it is exactly the technique Harlan Sanders invented, as near as I can tell. Since my experience dates back 50 years, I think the broaster peeps are the ones who "stumbled" upon it.

Not unusual really. Sanders visited hundreds of small restaurants peddling his idea.

Anonymous said...

Eh, who cares who invented it. It's the best chicken you'll ever have. So what kind of oil did you use?

Check out the industrial broaster equipment. It's impressive stuff.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I used canola, but I think I want to try lard.

Anonymous said...

I did a lot of cooking at Famous Recipe Chicken (similar to KFC) back in the '70's. We'd put the chicken in with the temp 400 on the rise. The rapid bubbling is caused by water. You want your chicken on the dry side.
After a minute, stir briefly to prevent sticking. Lid on, timer for 9 minutes. Our lids had valves to release pressure, no water trick needed. Remove chicken, set on racks. Pat with paper towels to remove excess oil if desired.
We could store in a warmer, but no way 90 minutes. Prolly 60 tops. A home cook should be able to time this a lot closer.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.