Monday, December 24, 2007

The Template

Christmas Messages
What I've been saying, but said better
Usually, when people say they’re not religious, they’re looking to pick a fight or at least start an argument.  That’s probably because people who identify themselves as atheists or agnostics are often as dogmatic as Cotton Mather and have merely made a religion of their own non-belief.

In my case, however, religion simply plays no role in my life.  Or perhaps I should say institutionalized religion, seeing as how I very much subscribe to the Judeo-Christian value system.  It’s the reason that I’m so grateful that two sets of Russian Jewish grandparents had the guts to pack up their kids and caboodle, and move to America.

Unfortunately, they and many others like them included in their baggage several  hundred years worth of religious antagonisms.  In far too many cases, these fears and prejudices, although initially well-founded, have been passed along like precious heirlooms from one generation to the next.

Even among some of my friends and relatives, there are those who half-expect their Christian neighbors to start organizing pogroms any day now.  They remain unconvinced that Hitler and the Nazis were pagans.  And even when I point out that it was American and British soldiers, mainly Christians, who brought down the Third Reich and liberated the concentration camps, it often falls on deaf ears.

So, although I do not accept that we are all fallen creatures or that Jesus Christ died for my sins, I am thankful that I live in a Christian nation. [I’m Happy To Live In A Christian Nation]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. both Michael Medved and Dennis Preager have echoed these sentiments.
The first sentence is particularly salient.
Merry Christmas Roger!

RAK

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.