Wednesday, December 26, 2007

TV EARS

So Rodge, what toys did you get this year?

I only had two items on my wish list, and this was one,  the other being a gold mesh coffee filter - which I also received.

Years of rifle ranges, grenades, garage band amplifiers and smashing whole rolls of caps with a hammer took their toll on my inner ear.  Things are now bad enough that nary a sentence is spoken to me that doesn't elicit the  excuse me - what was that? response that I find annoying when others do it.  I broke down and went for an ear exam and hearing test last week, which only confirmed what I knew to be true -- I need a hearing aid big time.  Dammit.  But, even worse than not being able to hear what MoSup is saying, is having to turn on captions while viewing movies, and certain other television fare, which prompted me to investigate what's out there.  Amazingly, you can spend several thousand dollars on this crap; this cost in the neighborhood of $129.95

The second the kids left I hooked it up - a piece of cake - and tried them out.  Voila!  The nice thing is you can actually mute the television sound and adjust the sound for ears only if you want.  The other is that they (supposedly, and seemingly so ) level the sound spikes that come with the most annoying commercials. There's a tone adjustment, and I have so far been able to hear with the clarity not known since I was 70.  Greep and Joe got them for me, but MoSup is happy because she listens to television at a sound level of 7-8, while I required a 24-25. However, after she had to come in the room twice last night to get my attention while I watched TV, she sees a new problem - one that doesn't really bother me.  :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

20 years of flying Orions did a number on me. My wife worked on them for 20 and is as def as me. SO WE BOTH LIKE IT LOUD. Plus, it drives the kids nuts.
Tim

AnnoyedOne said...

...a new problem - one that doesn't really bother me...

Yet! ;-)

. o O (Does MS have access to a baseball bat?)

BlogDog said...

Mer ... I mean MERRY CHRISTMAS SENOR SCHLONG!

MCPO Airdale said...

"WHAT? SAY AGAIN YOUR LAST!" :-)

Anonymous said...

A-Nonny-Muss--

Roger that. Yah, me too, except my ex- didn't work on 'em, but she did contribute to my deafness.

I don't think it was the engine/prop noise so much as it was 187 screeching screaming cooling fans in the average P-3C.

OTOH, I can hear and understand my Bluetooth much better than my cell phone turned all the way up.

Anonymous said...

85 - 90 db between the wings where I sat. The whine of the little fans probably helped too.
Tim

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.