Friday, January 18, 2008

Flashman, The Last Chapter

Adieu, Flashy
For my2003 Father's Day Gift Ideas issue, I wrote:

Unless your dad is very cool, chances are he hasn't read the Flashman series yet. I suggest beginning with Flashman: From the Flashman Papers, 1839-1842, but you can't go wrong with any. The gimmick is that one Harry Flashman -- a bounder, a cad, a coward, and a raconteur of the first rank is inserted into actual historical events so masterfully, by author George McDonald Fraser, that my dad-in-law read three volumes before he figured out that Flashy was fictional (he was a very bright ex-naval officer and chemical engineer). If you want to be a bit flashy yourself, add Flashman at the Charge (my favorite) and Flashman in the Great Game for a three volume starter set. Hurry, and you will receive them in time to read one or two yourself before Sunday (wash your hands and no eating while you read).

No series of books has given me more joy, or caused more LOLs than Flashy.  So it was with a bit of sadness that I saw on eClaire that Mr. McDonald has passed.  His last testament, however, is itself an instant classic.  Thank you George McDonald Fraser.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly....I've read them all! What a loss!

Anonymous said...

GMF was always on my Fantasy Dinner Party list.

It is good he reminds us "There are more of you out there than you realise - very many more, perhaps even a majority."

e-C

Anonymous said...

That last line sends a shiver through you.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully written, sad and true.
MM

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.