Friday, January 04, 2008

Sleepwalk

Whacking Granny
The sleepwalking defense



Just now on the Crime Channel they had a feature about the increasing number of "sleepwalking" murder defenses.  If I was a juror on any of the cases shown, my instinct would normally be to dismiss it as the defense gimmick du-jour.  Normally.  But this rang an old bell, reminding me of one of the oddest things I ever did.  I was 7-8 years old, and being baby-sat by granny.   I loved my granny, and have nothing but the fondest memories of her.  She lived with us, and was my tutor in card games, and how to eat British style with the fork in the wrong hand.  My affection for her is important, in light of the following,

The next day she confronted me with why I had attacked her the night before?  Huh?  Yes.  Evidently I came downstairs with a pillow, and began a frenzied, not at all playful, pillow attack.  It went on for awhile, and then I went back upstairs.  I had no memory of it at all, and to my knowledge have never sleep-walked again.  She found it hard to believe that this was an unconscious act, because my eyes were open, and I was quite animated, but sleep-walking it was.  In light of what I've just seen, thank gawd I didn't sleep with a hammer.

2 comments:

pdwalker said...

scary!

Anonymous said...

Since my true identitywill never be divulged I can tell you the Gods honest truth. Age 13 I was busted slow danceing with a pretty young thing I had a crush on at the time. Wearing nothing but my underwear. Bummer.
Cannon Man

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.