Friday, March 21, 2008

Blow Me Maryland

Md. House Passes Speed Camera Bill
To save lives *snort*

The Maryland House of Delegates voted 90 to 45 yesterday to pass the governor's speed cameras legislation, allowing police departments to install roadside cameras to ticket speeding motorists in work areas, school zones and residential neighborhoods across the state.

*snip*

"This is a slippery slope about our civil liberties that I take very seriously," said House Minority Whip Christopher B. Shank (R-Washington). "In this legislation, an unmanned box takes the place of a police officer. Face-to-face confrontation is lost."

Pending in the Senate is a far-reaching proposal to allow Prince George's County police to install speed cameras on highways. Sen. James C. Rosapepe (D-Prince George's) said his proposal was inspired by last month's deadly crash involving illegal street racers on Route 210 in Accokeek.

This Story

It's even money that Maryland is the worst state in our union to live right now.  We're talking political corruption, oppressive taxes - of which this ticket [s]cam is one,  and a particularly stupid electorate.  If a nuke went off in Annapolis today, my last act would be to yell Hallelujah!   By-the by,  earlier in the week Limbo talked about jurisdictions pulling their traffic cams.  Why?  Because so many people were obeying the law that ticket revenue has plummeted.  So much for professed altruism.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I empathize, I content that California has the dubious distinction of being the worst state in which to live.... the rest of the states are "just catching up".

Cuzzin' Rick

Anonymous said...

make that: "contend"

CR

Anonymous said...

I have to agree Rick. I got an illegal U-turn ticket recently, and it turns out that it's going to cost me about $500 when it's all said and done. That doesn't include the price of my time and inconvenience.

If they really had that gun camera, I'd be out there with my hacksaw tonight! That would look great on the front of my deathmobile!

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Wasn't it you who told me about the sales pitch the company selling these things .use? Perhaps you will elucidate here?

El Jefe said...

I'm just wondering how much of this is going into O'Malley's back pocket (my bet is about 2%) or at least of his corrupt cronies? I figure this is another scam for him to get the $$$ for his 'supporters'.

I've had it with his 'Irish' ass. Calvert County alone is costing me $2600/year and that's NOT counting property tax!

Changing residence back to Virginia here boss!

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Burn the place down afore you leave Jefe.

Anonymous said...

At least you gave us a great VP way back when. Nattering nabobs, indead.
Tim

Anonymous said...

I'll agree with speed /redlight cameras when the trial lawyers agree to have cameras in their offices and all of their conversations recorded to be review by the judge before a trial can begin.
george

BlogDog said...

Jefe,
You move to Va, come visit me in Sterling and I'll buy a welcome to the Commonwealth dinner.

Anonymous said...

"...And on an entirely unrelated note, Maryland's yellow traffic signals will soon be set at 1/10 the duration they're currently at. When asked for an explanation for the decision, Sen. Rosapepe replied, 'It's for the reven--children.'"

Anonymous said...

Charging up the sawsall over here, boss.

Anonymous said...

The Brits have the right idea.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.