Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lucy, I'm Home!

Neighbors


This is funny.  I drove to VA to help Hucker extend his deck by 6'.  He had all the materials, so we're good to go.  While digging the footer he asks, "I don't need a permit for this, do I?"  Of course, I reply.  You need a permit just to change your railing, but screw 'em, who's to know?  His house sits back on the lot, and his backyard is bordered by woods, so the only people who can see us are the next door neighbors.

 "I just asked," he says, "because my next door neighbor runs the county permit department." 

So, I'm back early, and we'll continue with this sometime next week.  What luck. Sheesh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mais, cliquez vous ici, mon frere.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/thumbnails/0,,1220600,00.html

Open on the thumbnails and read the narratives. Some are pretty damned inventive; some make ya wonder.

Whole lotta stuff like this out there . . . just Googling around.

Anonymous said...

Hey ET....That extension cord nightmare made me think of the time I was working in furnace repair and ended up on a job in a house in which someone confused their color code (evidently) when the place was in construction.Turned out the ground was broken through all the switches and the hot went straight thru....You can imagine the welding I did when I reached to disconnect the wiring on the blower motor,after killing the switch.....Whoa!!..Kept killing whatever switches I found, all the way back to the main box and finally had to kill the power completely and work in pitch black, by flashlight...Got the motor installed and STRONGLY advised the homeowners to get an electrician.....Needless to say I NEVER trusted a switch again...Always used an electric tester thereafter...Good practice anyway.

Anonymous said...

When I saw that radiator hose in the sewer line I realized that is exactly what is used (maybe a little heavier duty) on the swing out toilets in patient rooms of hospitals.....Somebody was ahead of their time?

Anonymous said...

That bird stuck in the register makes me think of the live pigeon that I took out through the cleanout door, at the bottom of a chimney of an old victorian house.

Anonymous said...

PICTURE ABOVE: Well now that we have the scaffolding up............

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.