Friday, July 10, 2009

STFU Noonan

Peggy Noonan

Nothing demonstrates the seachange that's taken place within the Republican/Conservative/Libertarian complex than Peggy Noonan.  Sweet Peggy.  Author of  Bush 41's  "a thousand points of light."  For some time now, having nothing whatever to do with politics, I've found Noonan to be increasingly unctuous, and her writing condescendingly preachy.  I bought her book (forgot which), but quickly drowned in the oceans of sweet syrup she heaps on everything. Now I view her along with other erstwhile conservatives, a repugnancy.  I'll let the Sophist speak for me, and millions of others I'll venture.

That I am a fan of Sarah Palin is not, I think, a secret.  That I did absolutely nothing for the 2008 election until McCain named Palin as his running mate is true.  That I regard Sarah Palin as the future of the Republican Party, and absolutely the most astonishing politician I have seen since Ronald Reagan, may be sign of bias and foolishness on my part… but it is nonetheless true.

Because I think Sarah Palin is the most gifted politician in a generation — quite possibly since Ronald Reagan himself — with an incredibly compelling personal story and rock-solid principles, I regarded her recent resignation as a real positive, as Kowalski did, because she is now free to become the focal point of both the national conservative movement and the conservative wing of the Republican Party.  She astonished me with her decision to resign.  If she never runs for elected office again, well, that’s her decision.  I suspect that we’ll hear from her again.

It's Noonan, and ilk, who David Kahane spoke of in I Still Hate You, Sarah Palin, on the failure to confront the evil we face with all out war.
Of course, you won’t. You’re too nice, too enamored of history and tradition to realize that the rules have changed. Remember, I live and work in a town where, “Hello, he lied,” isn’t a joke; we men of the Left are perfectly comfortable lying, cheating, and stealing — hello, Senator Franken! — in order to attain and keep political power. Not for nothing is one of our mottos, “By Any Means Necessary.” You see, we’re the good guys, and for us the ends always justify the means. We are, literally, shameless, which is why Bill Clinton is now a multi-millionaire and Eliot Spitzer is already on the comeback trail.
Peggy Noonan is lobbying for sainthood; Palin is a blue collar warrior.  What the times call for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this Noonan column this morning and barfed. She is part of the elite Republicans that think we can win being democrat/lite. IOW, abandon our principles and accept what the CSMF liberals are doing and say we can do it better.

Tell you what Peggy, STFU, OK? You and your ilk got what you wanted in '08 and despite the unbelievably poorly run campaign by McCain(can you imagine not bringing Obama's track record into the debate???), he still almost managed to pull it out.

The fact it wasn't a blow out is for one reason and one reason only-and that reason is Sarah Palin. I don't know one of my conservative friends who doesn't love this woman and conversely, every liberal I know either hates her, thinks she's stupid and hopes she runs for president-that I call whistling past the graveyard.

I'll tell you one thing, if Sarah does run, you'll see greater enthusiasm for her then there was for Obama-and the liberals know this, hate her and are scared to death of her.

Ask yourself this, name one losing vice presidential candidate that hasn't just faded away-hell name one losing vice presidential candidate-but her losing wasn't enough for the haters on the left, they had to do what ever they could to hound her.

Why don't we do this?
MM

Chuck Martel said...

Remember that Joan of Arc would never have been named a saint if she had not first inspired her countrymen to attack and defeat the British armies and save her country. Otherwise, she would have been just another seamstress in a little village. (Of course, she ended up being burned at the stake as a witch for her efforts.)

Boss, I'm finding a lot of uncomfortable comparisons here.

molonlabe28 said...

I am through with the effervescent, hopey-changey Peggy Noonan and her plaintive drivel.

She is reminding me more and more of Arianna, princess of class envy-infected masses, who is presently on a Greek isle with her gay ex-husband and their 2 daughters.

My eyes are turned toward Alaska waiting for Sarah to start her trek toward 2012.

It's rather ironic that the Republican Party had no problem with her coming down to save Saxby Chambliss in his run-off.

I don't recall seeing Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham or any of the other Republican Senate Lilliputians being called on to campaign for Chambliss.

Sarah will soon be speaking to sold out, SRO crowds and the Republican Party and the MSM will continue to be apoplectic about a real-life, genuine Christian who doesn't need her husband's name or money (got that Arianna?) to succeed.

What Sarah lacks in glitz and glam (which actually count as values to the celebrity culitists of the Democrat Party and the MSM) she makes up with values - something the Republican Party used to have but that it jettisoned (think Tom Delay and Dennis Hastert) for practicality and illusions of success at the ballot boxes.

Timbeaux said...

Sure, Peggy is washed up, has been since the turn of the century. Still, I've never been terribly impressed with Palin as a shrewd politician, and resigning the governorship only confirms that opinion. She's great on the campaign trail, she really knows how to work a crowd, but I doubt she could corral the bureaucracy of DC very well, and Putin would eat her lunch. Still, she should have had the top of the ticket compared to McCain. She looked a bit like Joan d'Arc standing next to him.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I hated McCain from the moment the 'party' annouced he was the winning candidate before two states had held the primaries. Way to short circuit the process and lock the people's choice out. I always felt that McCain was just Obama lite. He is not conservative in any way shape or form. I almost did not vote for him but he got Sarah; then I had to vote for the ticket. I love Sarah's ploitics and her track record. Being against the corruption in your own party is somethign I will stand up for. I will vote for her again if she ever has an opportunity to run. The 'we are smarter than you' crowd like noonan and the RNC in general have lost the greater part of what used to be the party of conservatism. The more left they go the more voters they lose. And yet they keep saying we need to be more like liberals to win and nothing could be farther from hte truth. Liberal fascism disgusts me. I want smaller goverment, a lower tax bill, more individual freedom.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I've been a subscriber to the WSJ since the 80s. I've read the despicable Peggy Noonan's mash notes to Barack Obama weekly in the Saturday WSJ since the inauguration.

Today, I read her screed against Sarah Palin. I immediately cancelled my subscription and told them why.

Noonan, Colin Powell, Christopher Buckley and Joe Scarborough are all in the same class as Henry Waxman, Maxine Waters, Barney Frank, et al.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.