Saturday, March 27, 2010

Damned tired!

I'm 63 and I'm Tired!
Yes, I'm damn tired. But I'm also glad to be 63. Because, mostly, I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. I'm just sorry for my granddaughter.
I found this on Free Republic, and it struck a chord with me, as I'm sure it will with others. You don't have to be 63 either.  I imagine young men, like our Josh, will share many of the same feelings. Except he's got years of trial to endure.  That's okay.  We had FDR, LBJ, WJC, and now Papa Doc to contend with.  I hope his people do a better job of it.  [ Snipped and condensed opening paragraphs below]

Boned Jello I'm 63 and I'm Tired by Robert A. Hall
 I make a good salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there's no retirement in sight, and I'm tired. Very tired.

I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it.

I'm tired of being told that I have to pay more taxes to "keep people in their homes." Sure, if they lost their jobs or got sick, I'm willing to help. But if they bought McMansions at three times the price of our paid-off, $250,000 condo, on one-third of my salary, then let the left-wing Congress-critters who passed Fannie and Freddie and the Community Reinvestment Act that created the bubble help them with their own money.

I'm tired of being told how bad America is by left-wing millionaires like Michael Moore, George Soros and Hollywood Entertainers who live in luxury because of the opportunities America offers. In thirty years, if they get their way, the United States will have the economy of Zimbabwe , the freedom of the press of China , the crime and violence of Mexico , the tolerance for Christian people of Iran , and the freedom of speech of Venezuela .

I'm tired of being told that "race doesn't matter" in the post-racial world of Obama, when it's all that matters in affirmative action jobs, lower college admission and graduation standards for minorities (harming them the most), government contract set-asides, tolerance for the ghetto culture of violence and fatherless children that hurts minorities more than anyone, and in the appointment of U.S. Senators from Illinois.

I think it's very cool that we have a black president and that a black child is doing her homework at the desk where Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation. I just wish the black president was Condi Rice, or someone who believes more in freedom and the individual and less arrogantly of an all-knowing government.

(full letter)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alot of great quotes come to mind; "I have not yet begun to fight", "Give me liberty or give me death", "Don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes", but the only thing that really stands out is "Enough is Enough"!

Tong

Anonymous said...

I've had it with these monkeyfighting democrats in this monday to friday government!

Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

I'm not fairing too well with the worrying about all of this. I need to pick a major, and soon...and I don't know what I want to do. Despite my laziness in grammar and punctuation here; I've tested really high in writing. They're trying to get me into teaching, or into journalism...There's no money in either of them. I'm really going to go to school for four years (or more) to be a high school teacher, when I don't know what the outlook will be for them at the end? And journalist *scoff*.

They keep telling me, pick something you'll love doing, that you'd do for free...That's pretty stupid, to be honest. Anything I know in my heart I'd love doing, is either impractical, or it doesn't pay well. Having to factor in whether or not I'll have health insurance in any job I get (since I wont afford it otherwise), whether the employment outlook is going to be good after they're done butchering everything...and whether or not I'm going to be taxed into oblivion...It sort of takes everything I would enjoy off of the table.

And then I have to worry not to make too much. Between my girlfriend and I, we have to stay under that bracket to make sure we aren't owing half of our money in the future to the Feds. :-p

I know what this man is feeling. I worry for children I may not have for a few years. In talks with my girlfriend, I feel guilty about the prospect of forcing a kid to live in a place like what it's going to be.

One thing I know, is my child will be an American. He or she will be be raised to love and revere this country, not it's government. Generations of us from the very first, have survived far more than an overbearing "Big Brother" and overreaching branches of it. My child will be raised like a lot before him; a fighter, and not one of those destined to simply stay the hell out of the way.

--

That said. My generation is also chiefly responsible for Obama. People my age are inherently stupid, there's no doubt about it. The vast majority of us are bandwagon hopping idiots. But when they are forced to some bitter realization; when they can't afford their weed or their itunes, or their internet or satellite tv because they're being taxed to death, they'll have to wake up. They'll have to get out and do something about it.

People are under the impression things are ever only going to get worse. They certainly get worse than this, but there's going to be a cataclysm in this country at some point in my lifetime that is going to violently and suddenly set us back on the right path.

All Americans, even the ones my age, are born into an amazing place, and taught somewhere along the way, that we're blessed, and deserving of representative, honest government. They've forgotten it somewhere along the way...but close your eyes the day they remember.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about becoming a Dog Catcher? In South America they use lassos! seriously!

anyway. I have been bumping up against the glass ceiling and am finishing up my degree. I had the same problem about school as you do. I suggest business school but really, it doesnt matter. Having a piece of paper that says that you have a BA/BS just lets a employer know that you can finish something.

I am taking an HR class for my Business degree (Small Business Mgmt and Entrepreneurship)

The following was an assignment that was pretty good that could help you.

Go to:
http://www.onetcenter.org/overview.html

1. First, familiarize yourself with O*NET by reviewing the information provided on the About O*NET page.

2. Select the O*NET Content Model link and review the conceptual model underlying this project.

3. Return Home and select the Visit O*NET OnLine link from the center of the page.

4. Select the Find Occupations feature in middle of the page and enter an occupation you are familiar with (e.g., one you have held or hope to hold) in the Keyword box.

5. Select the Go button.

6. Select that occupation and review all of the data provided using the various buttons that appear.

7. Return to the Visit O*NET OnLine page (in #3 above) and select the Skills Search feature.

8. Follow the directions for completing your skill list and review the occupations that match those skills.


then the assignment, at least the pertinent part for you:

What did you think of the occupations O*NET suggested as matching your skills? Was the occupation you are in or preparing for among those listed?

In regards to having kids... have lots, someone needs to replace us with kids that get it. It is an ebb and flow it will get better and I use all of these things as teaching opportunities. I dont sheild my kids. Instead of avoiding using the word "Retard" I explain the origin and why it has made the banned list at the playground. I point out the idiots and ask them about a better way to accomplish the same thing or maybe a different way altogether.

I like art but that doesn't pay the bills so I do something else. Just make sure you still have time for the things you love and Family should be in the top 2.

THor~
III

Anonymous said...

They keep telling me, pick something you'll love doing, that you'd do for free...That's pretty stupid, to be honest. Anything I know in my heart I'd love doing, is either impractical, or it doesn't pay well.
*sigh* or it's still illegal.

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Josh.
I've noticed that you write much better than most of your generation, you have your head on straight, and that you are mature beyond your years. Get a liberal arts degree of some kind, stay on the dean's list so you can get into law school, then run for office (at age 25 you're eligible for Congress), and write laws that make sense and are constitutional.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

"One thing I know, is my child will be an American. He or she will be be raised to love and revere this country, not it's government. ... My child will be raised like a lot before him; a fighter, and not one of those destined to simply stay the hell out of the way."
I hate to add to your worries, Josh, but after that you'd better watch out for robot assassins from the future, too.

"...pick something you'll love doing, that you'd do for free...That's pretty stupid, to be honest."
It sure is. Sounds like something that you'd hear out of one of those idiots that wants a career testing video games.

There is only one career path that seems bright these days so I recommend you major in Paper Shuffling with a minor in Rubber Stamping.
GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

I see an expanding need for gunsmiths.

Boneshaker

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.