Saturday, April 24, 2010

Pulling Pork

Stuff that works
Slow Cooker

Boned Jello


(Rollover for ceramic insert)

This is a celebration of stuff that works cheap. A few years ago my sister-in-law Toni Baloney gave us this slow cooker for Christmas.  We used to have one of those round Rival crock pots, but only used it once or twice.  Anyway, about a year later I began using it; makes the best whole chicken ever, and I discover new uses all the time.  But, first,  it meets all my requrements for any kitchen electronics.
  • No digital controls
  • No digital displays
  • Off and on switch only, with optional slow/ fast.
  • Sturdy
  • Easily cleaned
Everything  in our kitchen meets those standards (dishwasher, compactor, cooling machines),  except the microwave  dammit.  Anyway,  here's what this is really about.  I wanted to make some pulled pork, because I don't like that mushy pork BBQ they sell in the food store.  Bought a 5 pound pork butt, rubbed it with  secret rub, sprinkled some liquid smoke, poured a few cups of Sweet Baby Ray's over the top, and went out to turn on the grill.  But, I was out of fuel, and wasn't about to go out again, so I pulled out the cooker.  Set it on LOW, and let it go for 13 hours.  You're looking at it.  I shredded it, in pot, with the tongs, in about 3 minutes. Is it good?  MoSup creamed her jeans, and she's a girl who knows her pork BBQ.  The ceramic pot insert is worth $30 by itself, if not more.  That baby is heavy, and cleans up in 27 seconds with just soap and water.  Doubles as a tureen too. So there you go.  JC Penny is selling it for 19.95.   You're welcome.

11 comments:

BlogDog said...

I just used my El Cheapo crockpot (same controls as yours but smaller) to make my garbanzo beans and it's dead solid perfect. Soak the dried beans in the ceramic liner overnight, pour off the liquid, refill and cook on 'hi" for two hours and then "lo" for 2 - 2.5 hours. Absolutely perfect texture. Today I make hummus! Specifically, roasted red pepper hummus.

Pawpaw said...

Go get some large Reynolds slow cooker liners and you'll be through cleaning in way under 27 seconds. Trash the liner, give it a wipe, you're done. It took me longer to type the sentence.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Pawpaw, you wouldn't even do that yourself.

Kristophr said...

Repackaged japanese rice cooker.

If it works for you ...

Alear said...

Sorry there chief, no slo-mo for me. Pressure cooker, that pork butt is succulent in 1.5 hours easy.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Ahem. Having invented and reviewed both methods, I'll say that the slo-mo wins out.

TechnoYid said...

Thanks, Roger!

Although we don't need any of them now, I now have purchase five fine wedding presents.

jodi said...

Roger you are a true renaissance man. It looks delish!

Anonymous said...

Heresy I know, but I buy the finished packaged version at Costco. Just add your own sauce. F'n Fabulous!

Casca

El Jefe said...

Sorry, Herr Schlong, but liquid smoke just don't cut it.

4-5 hours indirect with REAL hickory does the trick with my own rub EVERY time. That, and a Jalapeno/onion/vinegar dousing...

Drew458 said...

Hey, no fair. JC Penny says it's $29.99, not $19.99. For that same price you can get a 6.5 quart model at Target, with a medium heat setting. Otherwise the same, except theirs has roosters painted on the outside.

I like the liner idea. Brown 'n Bags ought to work too.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.