Saturday, May 01, 2010

Little Things

Kindle, schmindle...I've got your
$350 e-book reader right here


Boned Jello

I bought this Acer notebook a few weeks ago from Woot.  It took some getting used to.  I have a 50" television, a 23" monitor, and the Acer 10+ inch screen was a bitch. The  wireless mouse didn't work for me, and I am not nimble with that touch pad mouse.  However, I finally got things squared away, so now what? 

The only reason I bought it was for those times when I'm going to be in a waiting room, or some other place without a computer. [Aside: I showed it to MoSup, and she said, "Oh good.  Now you can take your sandbox with you." grrrr]  Anxious to get more utility out of it,  I got to thinking, hey, I bet there's a way to Kindleize this deal.  And, there is

Like the guy says, you'll want to flip the screen, and that's where the  free app called EeeRotate comes in.  As far as e-books, you can buy them, or you can avail yourself of the million free classics available.  Like from Diesel e-Books

I tried the Microsoft Reader, but there were so many restrictions I said screw it.  I settled on Adobe's Digital Editions reader, not to be confused with its PDF reader.  Will I ever actually use it?  Don't know. 

For what it's worth.  You're welcome.

Boned Jello

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one too Rog. Bought it for surfing while watching the tube. In fact I'm using it now. I've broken at least three laptops by dropping them in this situation. Usually one good drop while running creates enough damage to make repair economically unfeasible. I've dropped this baby a dozen times in the last six months, and she's so light she keeps on ticking. Traveled with her too, she's good company.

Casca

an ignorant dickweed said...

Another converter can be found here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Anonymous said...

Classics?!? You want some CLASSICS?!?!!!

go here.... http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

they gots Edgard Rice Burroughs, Kipling, you name it...

CLASSICS!

RetRsvMike

Rodger the Real King of France said...

First place I looked, but they don't seem to be in e-Book format.

pdwalker said...

No, most of them aren't.

You can use other applications to convert the text files into ebook format. The result is servicable, unless you take the time to format and index them properly in which case it becomes very nice.

(Heck, serviceable is good enough for me)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

My apologies Mike. I went back to Gutenberg, and beauty. In fact,I'm not even bothering with the reader. Just rotate the screen,go full screen, adjust the font size, and bingo.

toadold said...

Kindle has a free application that lets you kindle your Desk top PC. I've been using it for both free and commercial E-books. I know it is good for Vista op sys. It is supposed to be good for XP and Windows 7.

What is the model designation for the ACER note book?

franco said...

Gutenberg's good, but I'm partial to UPenn's Free Books Online page.

E-book format? I don't know what that is. I've never considered turning my laptop sideways, either. I just open the book in Word Pad, resize the window, and off I go...

Recommendations: Mark Twain, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jack London.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

$279.99

* + $5 shipping

Condition:
Refurbished
Product:
1 Acer Aspire 10.1” Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz 1GB 160GB 6 Cell XP Home with LZ23800024 Accessory Kit
Color:
Black, Blue, Red

Alear said...

Sitting at lunch the other day it occurred to me completely out of the blue that I hadn't read enough Twain. I have read Connecticut Yankee, and others. Once, I was socializing with a friend, a black guy, and mentioned that I was reading Huckleberry Finn. Again. He did look at me kinda funny, like as if who reads that kinda racist pap. We're friends enough that when I said it's one of the great American novels, he may wanna look into it, he said he would.

PS: I still use my Kindle. While not married to it, it beats the heck outta anything else I've come across so far.

HowardCH said...

Try mobipocket and mobicreator. A great website for books in multiple formats is webscriptions.net. They have a free library section that has some great science fiction. Also, books that aren't free range from $4 to $6. I've got the entire Honor Harrington series and John Ringo's books loaded in my smartphone. It also runs on desktops and laptops. There's mobicreator for conversion from HTML and text formats. Great product for traveling - I have at least 50 books in my smartphone at all times...

Anonymous said...

Baen offers a lot of SciFi in three(?) different formats. Some is free, and some you pay for.
http://www.baen.com/

You'll find a lot of oldies and some relatively recent stuff, even a few of Jerry Pournelle's work there.
tomw

DougM said...

See, Rodge ...
This is exactly why Democrats don't read your blog.
It's the whole, you know, reading thing.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.