Thursday, October 07, 2010

A Paean to Joe Sobran

Joe Sobran
For example, I used to play the simple card game WAR with my son. After a while, when he thoroughly  understood that the higher ranking cards beat the lower ranking ones, I created a new game I called GOVERNMENT. In this game, I was Government, and I won every trick, regardless of who had the better card. My boy soon lost interest in my new game, but I like to think it taught him a valuable lesson for later in life. [Joe Sobran]


Boned Jello

When I read last week that Joe Sobran had died, I went immediately to my Great Essay file to retrieve his Teach Your Child About Politics. Then I was distracted by something, which is easy to do these days. Ann Coulter's homage to him yesterday reminded me, and I just formatted and posted it.  I am pretty certain that you'll find yourself saving, or at least bookmarking it.   In her piece, Ann wrote:

Reading through some of his columns after he died and being reminded of what an eloquent writer Joe was, I realized that the best tribute would be to quote him extensively.

She does. I found her personal remembrances just as fun; e.g.

Ironically perhaps, I've often used a Sobran observation to explain why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, Joe said he found himself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile. 

Easy reference:
  1. Teach Your Child About Politics
  2. No Ordinary Joe (Coulter)
Thanks Joe

3 comments:

Wabano said...

Joe Sobran was damn close to be a negationist...

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v07/v07p373_Weber.html

He's the source of their main argument..."Jews prevent any criticism
of the opposition to the Shoah and any criticism of Israel"

Of course, their main criticism of Israel is that there a minuscule
minority of Jews who will defend themselves against the Jordanians,
these "so-called palestinians", the vomits from islamic hell...

When all is said and done, these
paleo-cons like Pat Buchanan are
nothing but flakes of the islamo-nazi-commies.

When you discount ONE Holocaust,
you discount them all.

Modern day communists are all negationists...and we should admire Joe Sobran?

Anonymous said...

Huh? Wanting American foreign policy to represent the interests of America is anti-semitic? Frankly, I think Israel is in our interest, but I can make room in my mind for those who question how far we must go in supporting Israel without calling them anti-semites. Now the current turd in the white house punchbowl? He's an anti-semite.

Sobran or Buchanon discounted the holocaust? I don't think so.

Casca

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but in war the stronger always wins, Stronger intellect, stronger tactics. Doesn't matter about politics, or government, when I read the excerpt about the game of government. It makes me think what makes revolutions possible. Even his child didn't like it. Why? because it was unfair

thoR~
III

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.