Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lady Chatterley

Lady Chatterley


NSFW Trailer (Boobs)


I remember a do about D.H. Lawrence's "Lady Chatterley's Lover" some years ago.  Something about being banned in Boston?  Yawn.  Didn't like the title. Later, I greeted the movie (there have been several) with the same disinterest. I knew there was sex in it, but so was there in Debbie Does Dallas, and without the pretense.  Once I landed on an English version of LCL on HBO, or Cinemax, but it flat failed capture my interest (despite my penchant for period movies). 

Anyway, I was scanning my NetFlix recommendations, and a "Lady Chatterley" came up, rated 4½ .  The 161 minute running time looked daunting, but I clicked it anyway.  I don't know that I've ever seen a distinctly British story filmed in French  before, and that caused me to remind myself that this was England, and not France, a few times.   I loved this movie. It managed to evoke in me a feeling of what living in the early 20th century English countryside was like. Insights into the British aristocracy's view of things were at times startling. 

All in all this is a sweet movie; not at all what I expected.  I think more women than men will like this version, and I agree with the 4½ rating.  But you have to be in a relaxed mood. (English subtitled).  Say, how about them Bears? 

1 comment:

OregonGuy said...

A beautiful, in my opinion, movie that rates as one of my all-time favourites is "Elvira Madigan." Shot in 1967, the release didn't hit Portland until the 1970's. Being foreign and all.

It could be that I just love Mozart's music. Or, beautiful women.
.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.