Sunday, October 23, 2011

Imelt Umelt We'allmelt ... .



   
Fleas Occupy GE CEO Jeff Immelt's Connecticut Lawn




Flea CarrierImmelt actually came out in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement last week at a Thomson Reuters event in New York:

    “Unemployment is 9.1% and underemployment is much higher than that, particularly among young people that don’t have a college degree,” he said. “It is natural to assume people are angry, and so I think we have to be empathetic and understand that people are not feeling great.” [Full]

If I'm a GE stockholder, I'm ecstatic.  But then, had I gotten in on  Ferdinand Porsche's new venture in 1937, I'd have been tickled as well.  For awhile.  Blah-Blah-Blah.  Here's the real Imelt [via Empty Wheel]
    While Immelt was calling for manufacturing to stay in the U.S., his company was at the same time shipping manufacturing jobs overseas by canceling an order with an American-based wind turbine maker, ATI Casting Service in LaPorte, Ind., so that GE could instead buy the parts from a factory in China.

    Recently, ATI made $30 million worth of investments to buy, convert, and modernize a shuttered factory in economically ravaged Michigan so the company could provide more parts to GE as the green economy expands with federal stimulus funding. But a Chinese firm underbid ATI, and the factory faced having to lay off 302 union workers and shutter the plant.

    In an aggressive bid to keep the factory open, ATI offered to match the price of the Chinese producers. GE once again said they would prefer to buy from China. The ATI plant is now closed, the jobs gone. [Full]

  I really think that the smarter fleas will wake one morning and proclaim "Holy Crap - I'm not Fleaparty, I'm Teaparty!"

 justin.credible


1 comment:

Jim - PRS said...

I loves me the smell of Karma in the morning.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.