Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beat this Chef Boyardee!

                   
                    

 
 New York-Style Pizza at Home

 degRes Ipsa Loquitor

I tried this a few weeks ago, but screwed up a few things.  This time I got it perfect.  It really is on a par with the very best pizza I've ever had.  I love love love the sauce; MoSup thought it a but too acidic but she's getting old (her 47th - I think - oops) birthday today) Still she did agree that this is the best crust ever. You can see the video and get the recipe here; however,  as often happens (I've found), written recipes often leave out a detail, like drain liquid from the whole tomatoes.  In the event you can't log onto ATK, you can find the recipe here.

Additional notes:

  • 2. Add oil and salt to dough and process until dough forms satiny, sticky ball that clears sides of workbowl, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove dough from bowl and knead briefly on lightly oiled countertop until smooth, about 1 minute. Shape dough into tight ball and place in large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 3 days. (After experimenting, I find that3 days is the optimum).

  • 3. FOR THE SAUCE: Process all ingredients in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer to medium bowl or container and refrigerate until ready to use. NOTEThe video makes it clear to drain liquid from the tomatoes, this text omits that)

  • Slide pizza carefully onto stone and bake until crust is well browned and cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pizza halfway through. Remove pizza and place on wire rack for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Repeat step 5 to shape, top, and bake second pizza. (Note- I put a pan of already boiling water in with the pizza to good effect),
  • I don't have a pizza stone; I used instead a heavy metal baking sheet that I preheated at 550° for one hour.  Worked fine.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use unglazed tiles on one rack in the oven. Great for pizza and biscuits.
Tim

I-RIGHT-I said...

New York pizza..pffft.

But it figures that you have to register to get the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I have people who do this sort of thing for me, and leave it at Costco for a small fee.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mother Superior ! Thanks for keeping our King in line , on the home front ; ) > SMIBSID

Anonymous said...

Try docking the dough to eliminate bubbles and puffing up.
To dock, just poke the stretched pizza dough with a fork every inch or so before adding the tomato and toppings.
Or, buy a pizza docker.

Anonymous said...

Rodge, you can't be from Chicago if you eat NY pizza.

JerseyGirl Angie said...

There's nothing like a good NY style pizza, though the best "NY" style is actually made in Jersey ! ;-)

I do enjoy the Chicago style tomato pie, at times, but while it's delicious, it ain't pizza !

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Indeed, I was weened on Frank's Pizza in Chicago, and it tasted nothing like today's "Chicago style. It tasted like this (Chicago was home to lots of Dago immigrants too). Let's just call this pizza "good," and if you don't like it, then you have no taste.

Costco?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.