Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fred on Athen, AL






A Childhood in Athens
No Sign of Socrates, Though

This article by Fred Reed pretty much describes a place that no longer exists, but did, and should.  It is the America most of us grew up in (though many of us grew up in cities, and had a different range of regulation and lack of it).  This article pretty much illustrates what the Tea Party would like to bring about:  a nation of fewer regulations, and only those really necessary.  And of course with so few regulations, a lot of spending becomes irrelevant.  Wish I could go there today. - Skoonj





It is common for aging men, worn by the long years of drink and skirt-chasing and strenuous dissolution in the fleshpots of Asia, or any available fleshpots, to remember their youth in roseate hues that never were. But, dammit, we really did go barefoot. And had BB guns. And the dog could go anywhere it damned well pleased, and come back when it chose.

Athens, Alabama in 1957 was a small Southern town like countless others in Dixie with a statue of a Confederate soldier on the town square and little evidence of government of any kind, which was well since it didn’t need any. While the South had not fared well in its ardent resistance to Federal regulation a century earlier, still there was little meddling by Washington in my years there.

The South’s martial displeasure with Federal intrusion was remembered, though: When I moved down from Virginia, I was to other kids “the damyank on the corner” until I learned to wrap words in a comfortable padding of syllables, as God commanded.

On the square. While Southerners are the most patriotic and martial of Americans, they have the least use for Washington. In which I heartily concur.

Although my father was a mathematician at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, and perhaps entitled to social pretensions, he didn’t have any. Consequently I lived as a half-wild disciple of Tom Sawyer. So did most of the town’s boys. Come summer, we at first tentatively abandoned shoes. No one thought this odd, because it wasn’t.  Soon our soles toughened to leather and we walked everywhere, even on gravel, without ill effect.

And nobody cared. Oh sweet age of nobody cared.  Child Protective Services didn’t show up, officious passive-aggressive snots, to carry my parents away. Today they would, droning censoriously of hygiene and worms and crippling cuts from broken glass and parental irresponsibility.


Many of my friends lost feet to these perils. To this day you can see them rolling about in wheel chairs in their dozens.

Foot-nekkid and fancy free, we went to the Limestone Drug Store on the town square, piled our ball gloves and BB guns inside the door, and read comic books for hours. The owner, a frizzzly redheaded man in his seventies whom we knew only as Cochie, liked little boys. Today this would be thought evidence of pedophilia and he would be required to undergo therapy and wear an ankle bracelet. Actually, Coochie just liked kids. And since it was his store, nobody at corporate got his panties in a knot because the comic books were read into virtual dust without ever being bought. The Federal government had not yet regulated small-town soda fountains to protect us.

Still there, fifty-seven years later. Much changed inside but the current owners, whoever they are, had the decency to preserve the orignial soda fountain.
The devastating plagues that swept the South in those years, mysteriously unrecorded, were doubtless the result of bare feet in Limestone Drug.

BB guns, I said. We all had them. Most were the Red Ryder model, costing I think $4.95 in as-yet uninflated currency. Mine was the Daisy Eagle [Continued]



With maybe one exception (nobody had a BB gun) Fred's remembrance of his childhood in Athens, Alabama is identical to mine in Chicago, Illinois (albeit on the very border of Des Plaines).  However, if you substitute a .22 rifle and 12ga shotgun for the BB gun, things are identical with my summers with grandparents in Indiana.   I'm betting I'm not alone.


PS - Don't cut yourself on the satire



7 comments:

bocopro said...

Yeah, 'n' I 'member Boone County, Indiana . . . riding bikes down a slope into the gravel pit behind the Conservationists Club, shooting red squirrels with a .22 rifle and learnin how to skin 'em and gut 'em, helping my grandmother slaughter and butcher hogs, collect eggs, tend a truck patch . . . 'n' I 'member deiverin papers on my bike, an' nobody lockin car doors at nite, and no locks or metal detectors at the schools or court house . . . 'n' I 'member mowin old ladies' lawns with a push mower for less than half a buck and considerin' it a good deal . . . an' goin to the Saturday afternoon movie at the Lido with a quarter in my pocket, seein a double-feature shootemup, havin a box of popcorn and a coke and comin out with a nickel left . . . and then goin across the street to the li'l Mom & Pop bakery and gettin a bag of day-olds for that nickel . . .

And a perfect stranger might come along and take you to the local hospital if he saw you were hurt, or whip your ass with his belt if he saw you doin somethin REALLY wrong, like mistreatin an animal or damagin somebody's property

And on the summer mornins after you finished your chores and ate your breakfast of eggs 'n' bacon 'n' toast with real butter 'n' whole milk, you went outside and didn't come back in 'til you were either hungry or hurt, and you didn't dare come home with a bloody nose unless you had somebody else's blood on your knuckles.

And I'd LOVE to go back and do it all over, same town, same things, same way.

pdwalker said...

Even north of the big old border, we had childhoods like that.

Strangely enough, none of us died.

What went wrong?

Tom Mann said...

I’ve lived in two places in my life, Bethesda, Maryland and Athens, Alabama. I had the good fortune to attend Athens College, now Athens State University. When I attended, it was a private, Methodist supported institution founded in 1822. I entered as a freshman in 1967 and graduated in 1971.

There truly was no Federal presence, other than the post office. There was, however, a very real local law enforcement presence, particularly with regard to the prohibition laws. Athens is the county seat of Limestone County, which, like most of northern Alabama, is dry. Both the county and city law enforcement agencies took an aggressive posture in the enforcement of “Violations of the Prohibition Laws.” Possession of a college decal or parking sticker and a Yankee license plate constituted probable cause for stop and search for beer. It made for a lively game of cat and mouse between the student body and the local protectors.

Athens was, and is, a wonderful place. The people are genuinely warm and friendly. One of the greatest adjustments northerners had to make was getting used to everyone in the town saying hello. The merchants were interested in what our lives were like in the northern regions and were also quick to educate us to their ways when our views conflicted.

The college provided a quality education for those who took advantage of the opportunity, but living in Athens was a quality education in itself.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that Athens, Alabama occupies a special place in my heart.

molonlabe28 said...

My dad let my cousin and I shoot 22s in the basement (we had a range of sorts), ride mini-bikes and go-karts and ride our sleds behind his truck.

We smoked grapevine and played marbles and baseball, and a little smear the queer at recess.

My dad also taught me about honor and courage.

The nuns and priests tried their best to teach me the 3 Rs and manners.

And on Veteran's Day a few weeks ago we had the Stars and Bars flying over the headstone of our family patriarch, who served honorably as a Colonel in the Mississippi Cavalry under General Nathan Bedford Forrest.

My father-in-law was a pharmacist in his own pharmacy.

We saved his soda fountain and plan to install it in our home soon.

We still raise a good herd of Angus and lease out some of our land for crops.

And we shoot varmints for sport.

I still live in the America I grew up in, at least most of the time.



bocopro said...

Ou sont les habitudes d'antan, mes amis?

Anonymous said...

We did NOT, not shoot each other with our BB guns. We had wars, where we chose up sides, and hunted and shot each other. No head shots allowed. If you aren't too close, within ten yards or so, the Red Ryders and Daisys wouldn't penetrate hide and jeans. Usually.

jd

Anonymous said...

I wish he'd quit writing about Athens. He's right, but, we've got enough darned yankees swarming around here already. Every time one of his postings gets a little internet play here comes a few more looking around, sitting in the good seats at the fountain, eatin' at Dub's Burgers and generally annoying those of us who are still here.

In reality he writes the truth about Athens and we love it. I was born and raised here. Left when in my late teens spent some years in the Air Force and generally wandering around the world a bit, At 30 I was married and had the first of our 2 children and when we were discussing where to raise a family there was no where but Athens for me. Thank goodness the Wisconsin native I married fell as much in love with my sleepy little town as he did with me. So here we are, my oldest is married to a local boy and they have three kids. They are not much for traveling so they're settled here in Athens. My youngest is almost at the age I was when I thought there was something better out there. And she's a lot like me. So I expect her to do some wandering in the years to come. But, one day, when she's looking to settle down Athens will still be here and I dare say will not be very much changed.

Pamela Pedersen

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.