Friday, January 17, 2014

Harmonica Therapy




When CO2 Matters





Back in the early 1970's MoSup and I watched a Mike Douglas show guest  discuss emphysema, as COPD was then called. He opined that the only known "cure," or reversal was playing the harmonica. We knew someone who was on oxygen for emphysema so I told her.  She poo-pawd it; said she'd already been inundated with 
phony cures. and then died.  

Before I quit smoking for good in 1999,  I had peaked at three packs a day.  At $7 a carton it was not only an expensive habit, but I had already been sent home once with oxygen tanks.  The thought of hauling that around for the rest of my life scared the crap out of me. 

I had a lung doctor.  She told me that the lungs were a remarkable organthat would stretch to cover a tennis court Her point being that we only use a fraction of that so the trick is to find ways to get at the healthy stuff (I'm using medical lingo here, so I hope you can follow).   Gave me breathing exercises.  Soon, I was able to send the oxygen machine back, and haven't smoked so much as a candy cigarette since.  But still ....

Just had blood work done prior to my cataract surgery and noticed that all my numbers were well within normal, save for CO2


ME
Normal Range

CO2 32 18 - 32 mmols/L

I looked that up and saw that it was COPD related.  I took out a harmonica I'd purchased several years ago and started playing it.  That was two days ago.  I am not making this up.  I'm already breathing much better, and a lot of crap that was hiding in my clear sounding lungs is coming out. And watch this:

*dancing a jig to the Irish cup thing*

I'm just saying.  If you have a lung disease, get a harmonica.  BTW, I'm yet able to figure out how you're supposed to discriminatley blow one of those holes at a time, so I sent for Harmonica Playing for Dummies


PS - I was utterly shocked yesterday to see a gas station advertising their cigarettes for $5/pack!  That's $50/Ctn.  HFS!  My habit of yore would be costing me  $5475 a year! 

Fkn government.








11 comments:

bocopro said...

Ran outta smokes one day right after I retired from the USN in 84. Rainin . . . wife had the car . . . thought to myself ("Shit! Now I gotta walk inna rain to the fargin Commissary and get some cigarettes. Bummer!}

Put on my jacket and looked outside at a cold wind blowin rain around and asked myself ("Are you some sort of goddam moron? Who's in charge here, you or the frikkin nicotine!!")

So I just quit. Didn't go buy any more. They were $6.10/carton, which I considered outrageous anyway, and I figgered that after smokin for 30 years, I prob'ly wasn't gonna get much better at it.

Haven't had one in my mouth since. Don't like the smell, even of a fresh one, much less a pile of stale butts. Do admit, tho, that once in a while I'd like to have a nice Robert Burns Black Watch with a shot of Canadian Club and a nice poker game.

Several thousand bucks per annum tax-free payraise, I reckon. Talked both of my daughters and my youngest son into quittin, too. Wife quit last time she was preggers, back in '65. Smoke-free house since '85.

People tell me I have great will power for quitting cold turkey and toughin it out. Not sure that's true. I mean, you line up a hundred people and get 'em addicted to ciggybutts, it just ain't reasonable they'll all have the same level of addiction. One will be worst and one will be least. I just reason that I was that 'least' guy, not so much strong-willed as just lucky.

Anonymous said...

Look up the 'lung flute'
I'm trying to get a hold of one for occasional bouts of bronchitis instead of drugs. It produces a 16 hz vibration that loosens the crud. But it needs a prescription in the US.

However, I'll find my harmonica to try that out next time. Don't tell obamacare.

BTW, the young lady singing has a voice that captivated me. Not many give me chills, but she has a beautiful voice.

--mech

TimO said...

There's something to it. My cardiologist has always been amazed at my lung function, especially during stress tests. I told him it was because I'm a horn player; I've played saxophone for nearly 50 years.

Everyone I know who plays wind instruments has far more stamina than anyone else their age (and we've got some pretty old geezers playing in bands down here in Florida.)

gunnypink said...

L-S-M-F-T.

Have had a lot of fun with that over the years.

Thought the world had gone crazy when they put filters on Luckys, but when they also added menthol, well, back to Camels.

wheels said...

That goes right along with playing didgeridoo as a treatment for obstructive sleep apnea.

Murphy(AZ) said...

Rodge, you might be King of the Known World, but you GOT to get out here in the mud more often! In these parts, even smokes on the Native Indigenous Peoples Specially Gummint Selected Property Preserves are closing on $100/carton! In the local groceries some are pushing $120/carton.

But that's not why I write.

Please help an old F*rt out. I KNOW that song, but I'm d*mned if I can place it! And since you decided to throw it at us in one o'them FOREIGN languages, it's got me thrown for a loop! Love the song, love the rhythm; I'll file it right there with the Leningrad Cowboys version of "Sweet Home Alabama," but I HAVE to know what it is!

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Are you talking about Bob Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man?

bocopro said...

Murphy -- not quite sure what you're askin, but I had a similar question and googled the "origin" of the "cup song."

Best I can come up with is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmXSOPDe5-Y#t=71

Look in the "similar" stack on the right and you'll find some other variations and spinoffs, some going way back.

Snackeater said...

Bocopro--my doctor told me that until you can't stand the smell of cigarettes, you haven't kicked the habit. So you must be good--I'm not but I'm not worried.

I smoked Camel filters for 29 years but quit cold turkey in '98. Started running and very quickly worked my way up to (minimum) 5.5 miles/day, 5 days per week and never looked back.

Anonymous said...

Murph, you might be remembering the Byrds version of that song. But its Bob's song...

gsebes

Anonymous said...

Quit cold turkey many times - the last time in 1996 and haven't smoked since.
I felt better and was breathing better within a week. But still - every time I see someone light up I want one. Then I think $6 or $7 a pack and most of it taxes to the Feral Gubm'nt? No Way!!!
I told the wife - if they ever send me home with a warning like "You have six months to live" my first stop will be to buy a pack of Luckies.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.