Friday, March 14, 2014

Welcome to the Big- Our Refs Blow Too

Here's welcoming Maryland to the B1G

 


I am born and raised in Chicago.  My gramps wore a U. Chicago
sweater (the first Heisman winner was U.C.'s  Jay Berwanger); my Dad liked Northwestern (and would say of the Rose Bowl every year "Never bet against the Big 10" - until the smart money did just that).   I liked no team; didn't know about conferences, pros, colleges, or anything (except my mom said she had applied to put me on Harvard's waiting list when I was born.  LOL)  I was a kid,  and there were no football games on television (that anyone watched). 

Don't get me wrong though.  Playing football was a big deal,; we played in the street.  Tackle.   My first remembrance was playing tackle football in the back yard of the flat we were living in.  Pat Stack lived downstairs.  Pat tackled me before I could cross the goal line, so I started sobbing like a little girl that I was hurt.  When he got off me, I jumped up and ran across the goal.  My mother, who had been watching, immediately yelled to "come up here".  She told me that what I had done was cowardly and unsportsmanlike.  Made me go downstairs and apologize to Pat.

The "real" first game I went to was the the 1956 College All-Star Game,  played at Soldier's Field.  I was excited because one of the college players was Ohio State's Howie (Hopalong) Cassady.  Had no idea who he was, but I was a 
Hoppy fan! I have no recollection of the game other than when scantily (for the time) clad cheerleaders paraded by I hooped and hollered like a drunk sailor.  Because that's what I thought would make my dad proud of his grown-up son that could stay up late in the cold.   Instead, he told me later that I had embarrassed the hell out of him,  and my Uncle Mike too.  I remember that.  The record shows that the Browns slaughtered the All-starts. I slept through that part, but can still see the lights shining down on the fields; the crowd of about 2 million, and the smell of the turf that was being torn up.

Anyway, in response to Chris's comment:

Here's welcoming Maryland to the B1G, Rodger. I wish I could say our refs were better, but they're not. I wish I could say the fans of all our schools were classier, they're not (*cough, Ohio State fans are worse than Duke and Carolina's combined *cough). But we have some cool stadiums to visit and if you get to Nebraska, you'll not find classier people anywhere. So there's that. :)

Are you saying, Chris, that Big Ten refs would, for instance, in a close game with OSU, behind by 1 with seconds to play,  award a tie-up possession to OSU when the possession arrow showed it was Nebraska's?  Allowing OSU to score the winner? Has that happened in the Big Ten, over and over for 60 years?  Further thoughts here.

3 comments:

Chris in NC said...

That kind of thing and other stuff for years on end. Our refs suck. Home team gets all the calls unless you're a "chosen one" on the away court/field. It's especially maddening when you play hypnotoad Izzo and Michigan State. My theory is he has a whine pitch that is so annoying that the refs give him his way to shut him up...

gadfly said...

I don't want to conspiratorial, but are we supposed to derive a dark relationship between the "B1G" and freemasonry gematria codes. The letter G appears in the middle of the freemason symbol and it has a numerical value of seven.















Rodger the Real King of France said...

I think it's a brilliant way to maintain the feeling of the BIG TEN, and allow for expansion.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.