Monday, May 19, 2014

One Man's War







I've been making it a point to walk/run 5 miles everyday since that activity is logged by fitbit, and I am contested by MoSup who, as a matter of course, walks 10 miles a day just shopping, and taunts me for being a laggard.  I've found that listening to audio books is a great way to kill two birds with one stone, and make me forget how much I hate walking.  I just finished One Man's War.   I can't imagine that any man I know wouldn't find it fascinating.  (and there is a love story for the ladies who like adventure).


Re: audiobook. Narrator Patrick Lawlor reads this book like a cheerleader or the teacher's pet in an eighth grade English class. His tone is overzealous and maudlin; it dilutes the dark moments and nearly ruins the whole experience. Fortunately, the story transcends all and will stay with you for years (as it has in my case).
Tommy Lamore was a gunner on a B-17 that was shot down over France, and the book recounts amazing his adventures through 1945. 

I thought the narrator was terrific, and among the best I've heard.  Not everyone will agree of course; you can listen to a sample here. If you're not into it, I believe it will be a real page turner. 

The best part is that I didn't pay anything.  I got a library loan using the
Overdrive Media Ap.  There was no waiting list. 

Here are a few more reviews:


When I first read the dust jacket and saw all the things that Tommy LaMore had to endure during his tour of duty in WWII my first thought was "this must be fiction". Well, it is all true and truly amazing. I have read many personal memiors about WWII and I compare all I read to the two best one: "The Forgotten Soldier" and "With The Old Breed". This book is witout a doubt in that class. I don't say that lightly. Mr. LaMore goes from being a tail gunner on a bomber, to being shot down, to the French underground, to the Soviet army approaching Berlin. Along the way, you will meet some really unique characters. My favorite is the Soviet commander who takes a liking to Tommy and tries to keep him safe until he can be turned over to the British. You will also meet the love of his life when he encounters a womens concentration camp and discovers a beautiful polish surviver. Their story alone is worth the price of the book. Outstanding! I won't tell you how it ends but please, please, get this book. You will remember it long after the last page is turned.

I have read numerous accounts of men in war and until I read this one, I never had a doubt about the truth. However, this book reads like fiction. I hope I'm wrong but I thought I was reading a Jack Higgins novel. I gave Tommy LaMore the benifit of the doubt and decided to research the man. I was unable to find one written word about him. If his exploits are true, I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction and find a independent biography on him.

Since I couldn't find so much as a photo of Tommy LaMore, I'll side with  it being a fictional account.  Doesn't matter. USA UAS USA!

On topic, from Marc Miller:
Today is Armed Forces day, btw...
To quote Obammie, "Who rah?"

http://freebeacon.com/culture/the-devil-and-jim-gant/

2 comments:

mostly cajun said...

You're one of the Net's worst offenders when it comes to the "Let's make MC buy another book" contest.

MC

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Do you have a liberry card CJ?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.