Thursday, January 22, 2015

Plethoras





A Plethora                                









Marc Miller writes

Rodge, Had you seen this, you would've posted it.
By far the best series on WWI. 
The amount of history told is comprehensive.
The narration is excellent.
They slightly colorize to film which gives it a modern viewing experience and to represent the true colors (uniform, dress colors, etc.) of the day.
They add sound effects to make it appear it was filmed with sound.
This war was truly ugly.
What's interesting is they thought it would be a short lived war, maybe a few months, a season or so.
There hadn't been a war in Europe for over 50 years so no one knew what to expect...

Horry clap!  I'm being plethora'd to death with grade A cinema series.  First,  I'm reminded that Justified 5 is out.  At the same time I ran across the complete  "Game of Thrones" series on HBO and thought,"I hear this silliness talked about a lot, let's see what it is," and am instantly hooked.  Plus we have Foyle.  Life is so demanding for we who are so engaged in living it. Sigh.

Have I found myself in some perverse Soylent Green scenario? Yikes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apocalypse is very well done. As Miller noted, the narration is very good, the coloration is not over done, and many of the video sequences are new to me, and not the same old stale stuff usually shown on the topic. I especially liked that the producers held the sound guys in check so I can actually hear the narration over the music, unlike most other movies/shows presented today.
I keep looking to see my grandfather in all the WW1 film I've seen, but I haven't spotted him him yet. With 2 million Yanks overseas, I don't really expect to, but one never knows.
"Lions led by donkeys."
Watch it and weep, and learn.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Kim du Toit said...

Allow me to recommend probably the best book ever written about WWI: Mud, Blood and Poppycock

Be prepared to be amazed, because the book debunks a WHOLE lot of Lefty myths about the Great War.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.