Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Quick Puff Pastry Pot Pie


                                                           FOOD

Bot Poi


TOTAL TIME 2hrs
PREP 1 hr 15 mins
COOK 45 mins
Liar!

From Alton Brown on NetFlix;A Bird In The Pie Is Worth Two In The Bush (Episode: EA1415H), came this recipe for Individual Chicken Pot Pie with Puff Pastry.  I suppose I'll do this again since eveyone liked it, but even with the experience of having made it, there is no way this is a 2 hour deal (more like 4 hours, first time anyway); the crust dough alone requires one hour of refigertion.  That said, learning how to make this quick puff pastry is worth the exercise.  Next time I'll add another 1/2 cup of chicken broth, or perhaps wine to it.  And next time I'll follow the recipe and use just one egg, not two, in the egg wash.  You're welcome.



1 comment:

leelu said...

Boss,

I keep my flour in the freezer all the time. Way less likely to go south on me. That said, I'm guessing that putting the pastry crust together as described is the time sink. When I try this one out, I think I'll try his method for making pie crust. He uses a food processor to mix the flour and butter (and lard), and spritzes it w/ cold (out of the fridge) water until it's the right consistency.

I've been able to make pretty good pie crusts using this technique. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe.html)

Cheers!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.