Thursday, May 17, 2007

Electronic Cigarette

Today's Science


Scott Fraser, vice president of SBT (holdings) Co Ltd., demonstrates an 'e-cigarette',
which activates light and vapour, in Hong Kong May 9, 2007. REUTERS/Bobby Yip

HONG KONG (Reuters Life!) - It feels like a cigarette, looks like a cigarette but it isn't bad for your health.

A Chinese company marketing the world's first "electronic" cigarette hopes to double sales this year as it expands overseas and as some of China's legions of smokers try to quit.

Golden Dragon Group Ltd's Ruyan cigarettes are battery-powered, cigarette-shaped devices that deliver nicotine to inhalers in a bid to emulate actual smoking.

"The nicotine is delivered to the lungs within 7 to 10 seconds," said Scott Fraser, Vice President of SBT Co. Ltd., the Beijing-based firm that first developed the electronic cigarette technology in 2003 and which is now controlled by Golden Dragon.

The cigarettes sell for around 1,600 yuan ($208) apiece and are already available in China, Israel, Turkey, and a number of European countries, but not yet the United States. [more]

My personal opinion is if you really want to stop smoking, you'll do it without smoke-toys. Before I actually kicked it for good, 7 years ago cold turkey - and I am not making this up - I once found myself wearing a nicotine patch while simultaneously enjoying a bagette of SKOAL twixt cheek and gum, and smoking a Marlboro Light. Was I alarmed, or ashamed of myself? Not at all. I found some old prescription nicotine gum and added that to the mix.

Anyway, here's why I'd consider buying this gadget. Planes, restaurants, elevators.  That's the way I am. Anti-smoking activists are among the most obnoxious people on planet Earth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my old cigarette days from long ago, I found myself many a time chewing Nicorette and smoking. Great nicotine buzz. But damn Rog, you got me beat hands down. Didn't you get wicked hiccups?

However, now I get a much, much tastier nicotine buzz from cigars. And I'm almost ashamed to admit what kind. And for what ever reason, I can smoke or not smoke them. Sometimes, especially in the winter, I'll go a week or so with out a cigar without even thinking about one.
MM

Anonymous said...

The U.S. Gummint will outlaw the sale of these things here. Remember in the 90s when someone(I think it was R.J. Reynolds) came out with a "Smokeless" cigarette? They were quickly slapped down for making cigarettes "Appear safer". I'm glad you guys quit smoking. You're not missing a damn thing. Me? I'm still choking the damn things down like there's no tomorrow.

MitchM said...

Don't know about you guys but the patch gives me really vivid and creepy dreams, not quite nightmares but oftimes very disturbing.

Anonymous said...

GenCpl Rilerite,

Are you sure it's a nicotine patch and not an estrogen (birth control) patch? LOL! Check that label ASAP.

--Jack

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.