Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lounge



    Reminds me of a conversation I had with a social scientist prior to the election. Topic = Palin and the responses she elicited.

This woman got frothingly angry when I said that I thought Palin's supporters saw in her a kind of self-sufficiency combined with small community inter-reliance that resonated with them. Several men were nodding as I mentioned her hunting and fishing and the fact that Todd Palin designed and helped to build their home.

Spittle flying through clenched teeth, she informed me that she had raised her (upper middle class, suburban, never saw a gun in real life or a garden or ....) kids to be QUITE self-sufficient and that she was certain they could learn to "I don't know, kill a racoon or something" if they needed to.

Uh huh, I thought to myself. Sure lady. Sure they could. [lotp]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that place, and who are those people? mary

Anonymous said...

And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line
And a country boy can survive.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

The Fliteline Loungers at the "O-Club" are, as near as I can tell, an eclectic bunch of mostly ex-military people, who seem to have a better than average grasp of all things, and a delightful, intelligent way of stating their opinions. It's my favorite stopover.

Anonymous said...

I thought that was how you thought of us Rodger.
Tim

Anonymous said...

I'd mumble the word "horsesqueeze" after I stopped laughing.

Could these people do any of the things necessary to survive, if required: Raise a garden? Operate a firearm? Hunt? Fish? Trap? Wire a circuit? Install plumbing? Render first aid? Build a structure? Repair a gasoline engine? Dig a well? Care for livestock?

No F'N way. They spend their lives rubbing elbows with others of their caste in air-conditioned offices and import cars and are lost outside that environment. IOW, they're essentially useless if the SHTF. To most liberals, hardship means having to drink domestic beer in a can (gasp!) instead of a European import in a bottle or having to select a non-organic vegetable (ugh!) off the menu.

I see it each time a Hurricane smashes up our city. The liberals wait around for someone to rescue them while the conservatives get out there and fix things.

Anonymous said...

They would not be _completely_ useless if TSHTF. Since they mostly don't smoke or partake of anything which would spoil the meat...
just sayin'.

Stay safe

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.