Sunday, March 08, 2009

Cyber Stuff

Today's New Thing
The Moth

Jeff Simmermon says:

I've been performing at The Moth, a spoken word/storytelling non-profit with arms in NYC and LA. Essentially, folks perform a 5-minute story (without reading or notes) based on a theme. It's rated like figure-skating -- with teams of judges awarding scores like "9.5" or "8.0". They have the second-largest podcast on iTunes right now, too.

So anyway -- in 2003, I met a woman online. She was from Western Australia, I was living in Richmond, VA. I ended up selling all my stuff and flying over there to meet her in person. Here's the story.

Boing-Boing

4 comments:

AnnoyedOne said...

Shit! I come from Perth, Western Australia and there was no blonde beauty waiting for me when I touched down at LAX.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I bet there was, but you weren't looking for him.

AnnoyedOne said...

Him??? Prolly just as well then...


BTW I'm guessing he didn't stay long in Australia or its become more Americanized. You don't rent "an apartment" there although you might a house, duplex, unit or flat.

And yes it's true that Aussies, generally speaking, curse more than Americans. When I arrived I found out it wasn't acceptable to call your boss a MFCS'ing wanker ;-) After 13 years I've toned it down a lot but I'm still known as "that cursing Aussie".

/sigh

Anonymous said...

Dude. They aren't talking about your language when they call you that.

jd

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.