Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ron Silver, RIP

Silver Talks
In Remembrance
When I learned of actor Ron Silver's death, I figgered nobody else would remember Rush Limbaugh's story about him at Clinton's 1993 Inauguration. "When  Air Force jets flew overhead and Ron Silver was furious that the occasion would be marred by such a display of militarism. A Clinton aide reassured him, "Hey, those are our jets now - Meaning, liberals were now in control of the military."  That quote, by Vinnie the K ,on LGF, is one of about 12 million such remembrances I Googled up.   Serves me right for my hubris.

 Ann Coulter celebrates him in her column this week, paying homage to his courage for abandoning his liberal Hollywood philosophy in favor of  truth.  But, maybe I'm the only one who brings you his finest performance, IMO, in the 1984 movie "Garbo Talks."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of him, and Natasha Richardson today. How strange it was for those to happen so close together. Richardsons accident kind of pushed Silver out of the news, which is unfortunate. I remember watching the Republican Convention and it blowing me away.

I feel a bit awful at never having known he had cancer. I didn't know he was sick.

Anonymous said...

Roger Simon has a nice tribute to him on his PJTV website.

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the few on this site that doesn't absolutely excoriate 'The West Wing'. That's mostly where I remember Silver from. With Sorkin's writing and the dramatic give and take, I still remember it fondly. And Silver was absolutely phenomenonal. Watch Frost/Silver.

Anonymous said...

More Silver: opposite side. Let's have two sides, huh?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.