Friday, April 03, 2009

Maine Slaves

AWAKENINGS


It's 5 AM WTF?   I have a president, whose political  incontinence makes it damned hard to sleep.  I have a dog that's becoming  incontinent, has to go out almost hourly, and knows whose feet to lick.  Between the two of them, I'm exhausted. One's gonna have to be put down soon, the other retrained, which thoughts add to my insomnia.   I'm too old for this shit. 

I tried to get back to sleep after this latest awakening by listening to some comedy on XM. I got comedian Justin McKinney, whom I'd never heard before, prolly with good reason.  I kept repeating his name so's to remember it, and look up this particular routine about New Hampshire that was epiphanic. But then I had to pee myself, so here I am.

In this bit I'm referring to, McKinney bonds with his audience by reminding them that he's a homeboy, raised under some bridge in Portland Maine, and segues into driving into New Hampshire.  

"New Hampshire is the only state with no seat belt laws," he begins, which sends the Portland  crowd into knowing hysteria. 

Evidently in Maine, NH is the loose woman who's done everyone's boyfriend, and the subject of endless, gossipy admonition.

"And the first thing you see when driving into New Hampshire are liquor stores!  Some as big as a mall!" (Howls) "It's like driving into Mexico -- no seat belt laws, no taxes, cheap liquor, cigarettes  ... (howls).

That from memory.   I couldn't find that particular bit I'd heard, but  "Love Free or Die" has the flavor.

The point I took was, here's an audience receptive to humor that  hinges on the notion that people not having their lives controlled by the state are freaks!  Freedom has become an unnatural condition in Maine, and I suspect every other state in the Northeast, which region btw has not a single Republican elected to the U.S. House of Representatives!  This is why I get excited about talk of secession.  Or,even that G'damn Rapture deal? Anything, even being stabbed in the liver.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two comments from "The One's" town hall meeting in France. "Rebuilding America " What the hell rebuild what ? "The ballot Box is not necessarily the most important thing in a democracy" May I ask what is I can't believe nobody pick up on this. This guy is a piece of work Is running for King of the world.

Spanky

Jinglebob said...

Lucky we are a Republic and not a Democracy, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this jumped-up mulatto shows a penchant for over-playing his hand. In any case, at the end, the weeping and gnashing of teeth should be extraordinary.

Casca

Josh Fahrni said...

My girlfriend is from Maine. There's been a few Portlanders coming into the small town of Pittsfield, attempting to force 1st graders into sex ed. It got slapped down repeatedly. Maine is like California, or Michigan, or any other state. The Urban areas are the blue nanny state folks, the rest of the state is generally red.

But so far as I gathered visiting family and friends, Bangor, Waterville, and anywhere in Northern Maine, is pretty solid Conservative/good ol boy.

Totally unnecessary post, I know, but I just got my birthday presents and, while you weren't off the mark, I had to do something to make myself feel like I was somehow protecting her honor. :D

Josh Fahrni said...

And, to add to the New Hampshire thing...It's where people from Maine fly out from, it's where Santas Village is at. New Hampshire, to the idiots not full of themselves in Portland, is a playground to most. So this comedian sounds like an idiot.

Juice said...

Yesterday began simple enough reaching for a small tablet to write a shopping list on. At the top was a Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation seal and this quote:

“ Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.”
--Ronald Reagan 1961


These words, once again, sank deep into my heart and sank my sould for the reality that America is today, just half a generation later. Give me the Rapture, where evil souls will face their truths.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a great one, Juice. That should be at the top of all shopping lists.
GrinfilledCelt

Juice said...

GrinfilledCelt, What's even better? Every page of this desk top tablet has a different Reagan quote at the top! It's inspiring for those of us who believe in likeness.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Happy birthday Josh ... we've damn near watched you grow into a man here. Carry on!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.