Friday, August 28, 2009

Chicago Auctions


The former main Chicago post office was built in 1921, with an addition in 1932. The Graham, Anderson, Probst and White-designed building looks almost as indestructible on the inside as it does to passersby. That is, except for the peeling paint, the falling dropped ceilings, the buckled wood floors and the dusty debris that's accumulated since the Postal Service relocated across Harrison Street. (Tribune photo by Antonio Perez / July 8, 2009)
When we were kids, me and Sister-Sue would delight when mom and pop drove under this building on the way home from the train station.  It was the Second Wonder of the World (after the  fluoroscope shoe deal at Sears).  That it went for a mere $40 mil surprises me, since I would think the location alone is worth more.  The Merchandise Mart has 4 million sq. ft., and was purchased by Joe Kennedy for $12.5 mil in 1945 (without putting a cent down) and is currently valued at $917 million   Anyway, I set to thinking, what would I do with 2.7 million square feet of space in downtown Chicago, if it was magically deeded over to me?  After much thought, I decided I'd sell it for $40 million and leave Dodge.


PS.  I know it was a public auction, but this is Chicago after all.  It'll be interesting to see who the new owners are, and what their connection to Obama is.  Oh, there will be a connection.
C/R

7 comments:

Chuck Martel said...

I had never heard of a fluoroscopic shoe fitting machine until now. You learn something new every day.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! We used to love those things. Had one in the old Inglewood Sears store in So. Cal. We'd take turns standing in the thing marveling at out bones. I'm still waiting for my feet to fall off......;-)

Anonymous said...

My best friend's grandfather owned a shoe store that was on our way home from school. We'd stop in every day & stick our feet in that thing. When the grid goes down I figger my glowing feet will get me to the outhouse at night.

phototronic said...

I doubt they new owner will renovate it. They'll demolish it. When you add in the cost of demolition, 40 mil for that parcel of land is about right.

Anonymous said...

Me, too, anonymouseses. Glowing feet. mary

Anonymous said...

2.5 million square feet would house a lot of dissenters, I mean criminals.

Anonymous said...

First step in the "Big Dig II" project. Ike will be replaced with Hope & Change Obamway. Prolly $25 toll to start. Yes he can!

JP

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.