Monday, September 07, 2009

Le May and stuff

LeMay, Curtis E
Present and accounted for

 Mark Miller found this review of  Le May: The Life and Wars of General Curtis Le May - by his daughter.  A nice adjunct to Linda's Sue's B-17 Flight Log post.
By J. L. Lodge "Jane Le May Lodge"
As the daughter of Curtis Le May I found this book the most cogent and descriptive of my father the man. Many of the myths that frequently clouded the facts and lead to a misunderstanding are dispelled. Kozak has done extensive research and presented a candid and unbiased account of his colorful career.

I never saw my father as anything less than honest, fair and a willing leader beloved and respected by those he commanded. Frequently he has been quoted as having said of the Vietnam War "bomb them back to the stone age". Personally I can set the record straight. This was not his quote but MacKinlay Kantor's statement missed in my father's early editing of the manuscript for "Mission with Le May". My family is heartened to know that his sacrifices, contributions and patriotism are being recognized.

As my kids know, everything now reminds me of something else.  They don't think I'm aware that they're aware, but I am, but don't care - I have stories to tell and  by god they'll be told - 100 times if necessary - or as opportunity arises. Here's what Le May does for me, and I think I mentioned this before, but don't care.  I'm on a roll.

I happen to be assembling pictures from the University of Maryland, c. 1960s, and one is this ROTC pic.  No, that's not me, but it's illustrative.  Back then every male freshman and sophomore had to participate in Air Force ROTC drills.  That meant wearing a ROTC uniform two days a week, something that was exciting the first time only. It was a pain in the ass (see Animal House).  We were given name badge holders into which we were to type, or print neatly Last Name, First Name.  After about a month my tag read, "Le May, Curtis E."  Since attendance was recorded by yelling "Here, Sir,"  as roll was called I got away with it.  For a year I went through twice weekly inspections, and twice weekly heard a student ROTC officer's reprimand, "Le May, those shoes are a disgrace;" Le May, drop and give me 10."  What fun.  I even went to ROTC detention in the armory where actual Air Force officers showed us movies (I actually liked them), and just once did one notice my tag.  He shook his head and let me be.


I'm looking for any pictures of  College Park, MD c. 1950-1960-1970  - especially the Town Hall, Rendezvous, Varsity Grill,  and a picture of the window in Cole Field house that looked into the pool.  Anyone?

4 comments:

B....... said...

That's gotta be a rocket y'all are building - or a guided missile if one of ya was small enough to fit.......

Ride Fast said...

That's priceless. I bet Le May would laugh.

rockville said...

You could start with the digitized yearbooks here. They just went online in July.

Assorted other photos can be found in the UM archive here.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

HFS! Thanks.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.