Monday, October 26, 2009

XP Update

FWIW
 Final Report on stuff nobody cares about


 A few weeks ago I bored the hell out of you and me too with a week-long journal about wiping my disc and reinstalling XP.  I was then able, finally, to install Service Pack 3 which, for me, is a revelation.  Every single problem I've had since buying this machine disappeared.   My feeling now is that Windows XP is greatest OS invented by mankind. I have zero desire to own a MAC. I decided from the get-go to see if I couldn't keep my registry squeaky clean.  I know what you MACkers are yelling, but I don't care. I use CCleaner, which I think is the best such device out there, and every few days I run a registry scan, and fix (remove) widows, broken links, dangling participles, etc.  As of 10  minutes ago this is what I have.  There is nobody else in the world who has  registry this clean (and a system that still works), which is important to me.  I used to be the best smoker in the world, but since 1998 ,when I quit, I've not been the best at anything.  Now I am again.  USA-UAS-USA.  Isn't this sad?  But wait! I didn't mean it.  I'm the best at other things too, but don't want to brag. (This stream of consciousness blogging is tedious).

17 comments:

SoylentGreen said...

Crap Cleaner for the masses!! Yay. I've used it for a while and I'm a freakin' programmer.

Spunky Texan said...

I have used CCleaner for the last 6 years and love it. Don't use a PC without it.

B....... said...

Now do an image backup (I use R-Drive Image but there are others) and if trouble ever strikes again, you can restore to this happy day. Also do routine data file back-ups, but you knew that......

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I use Drive Image, and would not have attempted a start-from-scratch without it.

JMcD said...

I use 'Privacy Mantra' for scrubbing down and retting up.It also seems to remove DAT files....Like it very well.

Anonymous said...

Rodger???

1GB of ram ???


Hmmmm ........

TimO said...

Unfortunately the way Windows is architected, that clean fast machine won't be that way for very long (and that's the whole problem with Windows...)

Look at Clonezilla and you can image that nice clean drive for free.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

In the past - through every version of Windows - by the time I used a registry cleaner it was impossible not to end up mucking things up. By doing it every few days it shouldn't be a problem. Right?

Anonymous said...

And since I started using Diskeeper, an automatic defragger, which runs silently in the backround 24/7, my system runs as smooth as silk.

Marc M

drew458 said...

Run your CCleaner and let it do all the fixes it wants. Then run IOBit's Advanced SystemCare

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

and see if it doesn't find a whole bunch more junk to clean up.

I've tried a lot of these registry cleaners, and these 2 are the only ones worth using. Most are rip offs. Advanced SystemCare has a for-money upgrade, but the basic tool is free. CCleaner is great, but this one is even better.

Whichever one you pick, run it daily, along with SpyBot.

B....... said...

I have used several reg cleaners over the years, but have sworn off. Read this on why not to use registry cleaners and decide for yourself. Ok, I may still sneak in a reg cleaner pass once in a while but.......

bustoff said...

I just discovered and installed this program a couple of days ago! I couldn't run Windows Washer anymore after upgrading to Windows 7 (so far, so good btw), so I went looking for a replacement. CCleaner is the shiznit, and it's FREE!

Rodger the Real King of France said...

What does Windows 7 have that you like so far?

pdwalker said...

Uncle Rodger,

Upgrade to 4GB of ram and then disable the windows xp swap file. Your system will fly.

(yes, I know the computer can use at most 3.3gb on a 32 bit OS, but your system will be happiest with 2 matched sims - it should cost less than $100 these days)

bustoff said...

http://gizmodo.com/5330609/windows-7-review-you-can-quit-complaining-now

It just runs better. No hesitation on startup. No freezing up. Easy driver loading. Better user interface (it doesn't ask permission for every single task). Runs fast and smooth. Only had one program (Windows Washer) that was not compatible.

Flyfish said...

Windows 7 is the balls. best windows ever. I've been running the release candidate for a couple of months. It is fast, not buggy, doesn't BSOD, doesn't hang, doesn't slow down runs everything I've installed so far.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

"Upgrade to 4GB of ram and then disable the windows xp swap file. Your system will fly."

My box has a 2GB ceiling, and I haven't had a thing to complain about speed wise, so, meh.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.