Saturday, November 07, 2009

Sgt. Richard Yarosh

Burned GI's Portrait Smithsonian Bound


Retired Army Sgt. Richard Yarosh has gotten used to the stares. His face is blanketed in knotty scar tissue. His nose tip is missing. His ears are gone, as is part of his right leg. His fingers are permanently bent and rigid.

All is the result of an explosion in Iraq that doused him in fuel and fire three years ago.

"I know people are curious," he said. "They'll stop in their tracks and look. I guess I can understand. I probably would have stared, too."

Soon, a lot more people will be staring at Yarosh's face but in a very different way: A life-sized oil painting of him will go on display at the National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington later this month. The portrait, by Matthew Mitchell, is a finalist in the Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition, which recognizes modern portraiture at the gallery known for its collection of notable Americans. [Continued]

 He looks like a damned handsome man to me.  You can't keep character from shining through, his is luminescent, any more than you can fake what's not there. 
MoSup

5 comments:

Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

A handsome man indeed. Stuff like that breaks my heart, having something like that happen to you, and then knowing everyone's looking as though there's something other than a person to see.

I'm a bit stunned to see that an 'artist' would take this up. It's been a long time since anything bearing the image of an American Hero would have been considered art by the 'elites'. I can think of nothing more deserving to be in the Smithsonian.

Anonymous said...

"I'm proud of the way I look. I'm proud of the reason for the way I look."
Wow. That man is getting on with his life, a real man in the best sense of the word. I hope he does well, and a hat tip to the artist for taking on his project. He stands head and shoulders above the no-talent trash who pass off garbage piles or offensive sensationalistic photographs as "art".
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

There's nothing more handsome or deserving of love and respect than a true hero.
Ad rem...

Anonymous said...

Rog, I thought the same thing when I saw him, and was moved as I read on. God Bless him. He is one of the very best. Where do we find such men.

Casca

Anonymous said...

You've all covered Sgt. Yarosh with well-deserved praise. He's the kind of man that makes other men bow in respect. I'm going to take a moment to applaud the artist that took on the subject with respect and created a truly fine work. I look at this and see goodness, honor, heroism, and sacrifice. I see a man carrying is battle scars only on the surface- his heart is as good or even better than before. It's a lesson to those fascinated with superficial things that think such scars would ruin a man's heart and his life. If someone thinks this should raise anti-military feelings, they are sorely mistaken. If that was the artist's intent, on that he failed, but I don't think he could have done such a good job had that been the case. I salute you, Matthew Mitchell.

Everyone has scars, not all of them show. Physical scars are nothing to strong heart.

AWM

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.