Monday, June 28, 2010

Blah blah blah

finding answers

Boned Jello

Am  I prescient, or what?  This morning while I was copying stuff to put on the new computer, this one locked up.  Then,  after trying everything to get it back, the screen blinked and I get a Microsoft message telling me the error was caused by "equipment malfunction."   I've been having hiccups for a while, so I think this baby is getting ready to die.  Whew. I bought in the nick of time.

Coincidentally, my e-mail has been spotty all day; wouldn't send at all; spotty incoming.  Of course I blamed it on me; but oh no.  After searching around Verizon I found a bunch of people asking wtf is wrong with the mail server?   There is no answer.   What the hell is wrong with Verizon?   When my Internet provider is having trouble, as soon as I log on there's a bulletin describing the situation.

I had to ...  are you at all interested in this?  I had to do a total recovery of the Windows 7 box yesterday; all stemming from me,  like a dummy,  entering a log-in password,  and then trying to undo it with a sledgehammer.  But, I am most impressed with Windows 7.  The blazing speed relative to what I'm used to is of course because the new machine is 7 years younger.  I did learn this however.  Several times I found myself unable to install new stuff; an "administrator privilege" thing that abounds.  You just right click the mouse and select "run as administrator," and Bob's your uncle.  Why it  doesn't recognize me as the Administrator to begin with is another thing. Windows will always do stuff like that. 

I would buy Windows 7 again.  But ...  Hearts is totally retooled, which is okay, but is ungodly slow.  S-L-O-W!  I start playing the game when I begin feeling guilty about not doing what I should be doing, so that's a lot of Hearts.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rodge. I had to come here to find out why my sweetie's email isn't working.
mary

Anonymous said...

Rodg, our Verizon mail seems to be working but, that does not mean much. Our server has issues every once in a while and it burps up our login over and over. Then I get pissed and cuss and swear and then it works (sometimes takes hours but it always works eventually). Hope this helps you.....remember cuss n swear - it is the American way!!!!

Bolivar

Anonymous said...

Roger, the right-click thing and "Run as Administrator" is a long needed feature of Windows. In Windows XP and all versions of Windows before that the default was to run with full administrative privileges at all times. You've many times had funny things happen to you. Ever heard of "on mouseover?" You don't even have to click on anything; just run your mouse over the wrong place on an infected web page. With full administrative privileges malware can do anything to your computer if you make an inadvertent mistake. I mean anything even:

format c:

End of rant.

JLW III

BlogDog said...

My Verizon FiOS e-mail was gagging last night but I figured the problem was on their end and just waited it out. This morning everything seems to be back in order. Patience is a virtue.
I'm not good at being virtuous.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Of all the various chores involved in migrating from one computer to another, the e-mail deal is my worst. So, no sooner had I got it running than this, so the natural conclusion was that I'd screwed up on something. That led to hours of trying to resolve something that was Verizon's problem, and in the process I mucked up what 'd done. I want reparations from Verizon for working with al-Qaeda!

An ignorant dickweed said...

LINUX .... let's try that again, LINUX.
You can dual boot your machine, keeping all that wonderful slow windows in place when you want to use it and also boot to your linux OS.
Two operating systems on one machine, you choose on boot-up
http://www.ubuntu.com/

They have a "live CD" which allows you to run the OS off the CD without making changes to your machine. You can try before you install. (The CD is slow booting though)

Stop complaining about your Windows OS and see what your machine can do. It will import all your old files.

An ignorant dickweed said...

Rog, you try everything else under the sun, why not try linux?
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Anonymous said...

"What the hell is wrong with Verizon?"
Sadly, Verizon is GTE. Was, is, and always will be a 3rd world telephone business model.
Equally sad, at&t is not AT&T. DOJ and several cohorts in crime destroyed AT&T. at&t is some baby bells on steroids, without leader.
"Why didn't they tell you?" From the various service providers manager perspective, the best feature of the Internet is no one is responsible. In any connection there are many nodes and links. The management of each can say, "Everything is fine here." while his techies scramble to report good numbers (90%) and fix the problem (10%).
BTDT

Mudgeon from Texas

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I wasn't up on the GTE info, and I second your AT&T rant!

Anonymous said...

I/m in So. Cal. and my Verison e-mail goes down at least once a week. It was down all afternoon and most of last evening. Keeps hopping up and down and asking for the special password. If I ignore it,it will eventually correct itself by the morning. ATT customer service sucks rats through chocolate flavored straws!

Ad rem...

Rodger the Real King of France said...

"Rog, you try everything else under the sun, why not try linux?"

I thought about it once, but as I remember there was a lot of prep work involved. If it was something I could just install like a utility, I would try it.

TheOldMan said...

I have VZ DSL in the Santa Cruz Mountain area. Rock solid for years and years. When I consider the miles of ancient copper that was installed in the late 60s (ok some was probably upgraded eventually) strung on poles that have tree branches hanging on them, I am in awe that it works at all. 3MB for $30/mth.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.