Tuesday, September 21, 2010

French Bread

TRKOF on Bread

Boned Jello

French bread and pancetta.  Mmmmm.

Our local French bread is okay, but then I'll go someplace like New York and get the "real thing."  Oye.  Which brings me to my latest "Stuff the Works."

When I bought this bread machine from Woot  last month (I think it was about $50), MoSup was annoyed.  Why?  Because she hates stuff sitting on counters.  I mean, anything.  So, what with the ice cream machine, Food Saver, panini grill, toaster and  coffee maker, she sees interminable clutter. "And, you won't use it," she added.

"You said that about the Food Saver too ...
Didn't you?"


I had her.

I always wanted a bread machine.  Several years ago I bought Beard on Bread, and went nuts for a few months.  My bread never really stacked up with bakery bread, however, so what the hell.  But!  When I got around to making French bread with the machine a few weeks ago, I went deja-vu nuts all over again .  IMO, this bread is the equal to, or better than, the best I've had.  Deliciously crunchy crust all around; lovely soft texture betwixt.  If I was put in prison, on a diet of (this) bread and water; Brier Patch!

The ingredient list for French bread is as simple as simple can be (Cuisinart recipe) .
  1. water
  2. flour
  3. salt
  4. yeast
Which made me wonder why my past attempts at making French bread failed?  Interestingly, once you plop the ingredients in, and select "French/Italian bread," the timer sets to a range of 3:50 regardless of it being a 1, 1½, or 2 pound loaf.  All but 1:05  is used in kneading, rising, and kneading. 

condensationThe recipes I just looked at all call for about 3 hours, beginning too end; at an oven temp of 350 º, and a cooking time of around 40-50 minutes.  So, no matter how you slice it, the machine cooks for an additional 20-25 minutes.  I assume at a lower heat.  I've also noted that when doing French bread, the window is covered with condensation not observed with other breads. My guess is that there is a higher concentration of water, or the "rising" cycle temperature is higher?  Finally, there is no sugar, or honey used to feed the yeast. That differs from other recipes, and must enter into the equation. 

! Just now realized that I make my pizza dough using the same ingredients; flour, water, salt, and yeast - no sugar.  Except I don't let the dough rise.  A pizza king gave me the tip. Try it.

Yum, that didn't last long.

Boned Jello
I love the word slather

10 comments:

BlogDog said...

Water, grain, yeast, flavorings. Bread = beer. A sure sign of a loving God.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Real (e.g. German) beer is liquid bread.

Anonymous said...

Wow....a husband that not only brings home the bread but makes it too! Priceless...
Ad rem...

JMcD said...

If it weren't for that damn dyabe...diabu...dyabee...that sugar deal, half my food would be bread, especially French bread.
I dearly love great bread!

gregor said...

I just made a pound of basil and garlic butter to use some of the basil still in the garden. I'm going to make some bread this weekend and go into a butter coma.

TimO said...

I've always wanted a bread machine... but I DON'T want to weigh 800lbs.

And I would if I had a bread machine.

I limit myself now to only making bread or cakes a couple of times in the winter 'cause I'm sick of hearing my doctor bitch at me!

Anonymous said...

*droolz*
*faintz*

e~C

Anonymous said...

For the first time ever I may be a step ahead of the crowd on this- home made beer and pizza.

About a month ago I bottled beer in my 'nanobrewery' and harvested the beer & yeast sludge from the bottom of the carboy. Mixed that up with flour & water. While that was rising, made sauce out of the garden (tomatoes, onions, green pepper.)

Added sausage, cheese and fresh basil for a pizza and beer dinner. Hands on time was actually much less than the round trip to the city for take out. Pictures available on request ;-)

jr in wv

Cheesy said...

There are those that have the teory that beer was no more than a happy accident in the search for a way to keep bread from getting moldy - works for me!!!

JMcD said...

Isn't kvass made out of old bread in Russia?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.