Saturday, October 02, 2010

Tony Curtis & MM

TONY CURTIS KISSING HITLER
1925-2010

Curtis will always be associated most with the cross-dressing Billy Wilder masterpiece Some Like It Hot, which co-starred Marilyn Monroe. After filming that, he said, on being asked what it was like to kiss Monroe: "It was like kissing Hitler." This sentence has become part of movie lore.

Today, he says: "I said it as a joke. I mean, it was such a darn stupid question, so I gave a stupid answer."

Monroe and Curtis also had a history. When they were both struggling in Hollywood in the early Fifties, the two became lovers. Their brief liaison is described by Curtis with unabashed detail.

"She found it hard to reach orgasm. We were both inexperienced, 22 or something. It was a messy business." When they worked on Some Like It Hot, he says she had "gone funny. Her mind was all over the place. She had lost confidence".


In one scene, Curtis and Monroe romance each other on the sofa of a yacht. "It was awful," he says. "She nearly choked me to death by deliberately sticking her tongue down my throat into my windpipe." Read more:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorite Tony Curtis Movie: Operation Petticoat with Cary Grant...

JMcD said...

I thought "Six Bridges To Cross" was a good flick, but my personal favorite Curtis movie was, "Sweet Smell Of Success".

Anonymous said...

Anon. I agree. Operation Petticoat was a great movie and Curtis was a hoot in it. In fact the entire cast was good. Grant was himself and that was perfect for the story. To picture those magnificent um uh nurse-types on a submarine - a POS sub to boot is a recipe for comedy. They did it well too. I have the DVD and pull it out from time to time. Tony, you did some good work now rest easy. RIP

Bolivar

Anonymous said...

The cute little redhead nurse was Richie's mom, Mrs. C!

Kelly

TimO said...

The best part of "Some Like it Hot" was Monroe's costumes. There was some serious engineering there....

Rodger the Real King of France said...

My best part of Some Like it Hot was I laughed so hard I soiled me britches.

I never thought of TC as a great actor, but he had a quality that made me wanna like him, so I enjoyed most everything he did. In grade school however, some kid had a magazine picture of Janet Leigh (who I had a crush on) in the bathtub, barely covered by soap bubbles. The picture credit was her husband. We, all of us, were astounded that a man would take a picture like that of his wife and let people see it. I got over it.

Anonymous said...

Tarus Bulbus(sp?) anyone?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.