Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Anthony Bourdain - Second Chance

Anthony Bourdain Re-visited

  After the show's first three episodes aired on Fox, the show was put on hiatus due to Fox's coverage of the Major League Baseball playoffs. In November 2005, Fox announced the show would not air during sweeps The show returned on December 5, 2005, with its fourth episode, though only received 3.38 million viewers. Four days later, Fox announced that they canceled the series. Currently all 13 episodes are available via Hulu and a complete series DVD collection has been released. and that only 13 episodes would be produced as it was only averaging 4 million viewers. [Kitchen Confidential (TV series)]



After yesterday's mini-rant about Anthony Bourdain's Liberal bent, a number of comments instructed me that the man may have changed.  In the process of looking stuff up, I discovered that his book Kitchen Confidential had been made into a television series. I haven't watched yet, but I will. Including this --  if I can find it.

  In July 2006, Bourdain was in Beirut filming an episode of No Reservations when the Israel-Lebanon conflict broke out. Bourdain and his crew were evacuated with other American citizens on the morning of July 20 by the United States Marines.[11] Because of the unexpected conflict only a few hours of footage were available from the first restaurant on their agenda. Bourdain's producers compiled the Beirut footage into a No Reservations episode which aired on August 21, 2006. Uncharacteristically, the episode included footage of both Bourdain and his production staff, and included not only their initial attempts to film the episode, but also their firsthand encounters with Hezbollah supporters [Wikipedia]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our house LOVED this show. I had no idea Bourdain was ultimately behind it. If your netflix taste (seems right in line with ours) is any indicator then you will love it too.

katzemeow

Anonymous said...

Having been a chef , I love Anthony Bourdains show ! He does lean a little left , but not enough to make me stop watching . I dropped out of the food scene because of the brutal hours , and the toll it took on my love life . The day I quit , the executive chef told me that I would regret my decision , and I often wonder "what if ?" We had just done the "Grid Iron Banquet" for Ronald Reagan ! I still have a bottle of Champagne that was given to me from President Reagan that night ! I had a lot of fun ! Watching Anthony takes me back : ) > SMIBSID

Anonymous said...

I found the Beirut episode on Amazon for $1.99, and in 3 parts on youtube.

FWIW.

S2

Timbeaux said...

Bourdain is a born and bred New Yorker with a lot of what that means, but on one of his No Reservations shows he spent a weekend with Ted Nugent shooting several thousand rounds and cooking wild game. He even got the Nuge to drink a beer at the end. He's ok in my book; opening minds.

cmblake6 said...

I was about to say try "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.