Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vexations

Morning Announcements & Roll Call

Yoeman Commodore Jamie McD

Since I never bother you with my own computer prollems, preferring instead to suffer in silence (ahem) , I didn't tell you that MoSup's computer crashed last week and I spent all weekend reconstructing her non-backed up system, which job to back-up was mine.  Everything running smoothly except I cannot get her Verizon e-mail to send (it receives) using Thunderbird and I just spent all morning working on that without success instead of rabble rousing against Obamunists or otherwise being useful.  Just so you know.

On the subject of stuff not working - Jamie McD is at wits end because he can't post comments on this site.  It would not be unreasonable for him to conclude that I had for some reason blocked him, and he did wonder that, but in 9 years of C&S I have blocked just one person.  Yoeman Commodore JMcD is a valued Barn Army friend, and I continue to search for reasons.  Unless of course ... wait.  Maybe JMcD was captured on his last mission (to find e-Claire went missing while looking for Linda SOG) and this is a Taliban trick to get Barn Army information.  JMcD - answer if you can.  If  you're being held captive say something like "mmrnpoohhh".

This memo is Eyes Only

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a computer drone shuffling along on Win 7 and IE 8. Sometimes if I'm on IE8 64 bit, I can't see or run some of the graphics, and shifting to IE8 32 bit cures that. Otherwise, no problems.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Kristophr said...

Put a second hard drive in her PC for personal files, and point "My Documents" at it.

That way, when it crashes again, you probably won't lose data.



Then get a hard drive in a separate USB box, and use Win 7 to backup everything into it as a good starting position for the next crash. You want a known clean working image for this PC.

Anonymous said...

============

Rodger, verizon fios in our area is changing the ports for sending via SMTP to try to reduce outgoing spam.

YOu might want to check with verizon to see if your smtp port setting are correct.

bullseye

================================

Kristophr said...

Install a second HD, and point "My Documents" at it:
http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html

Then make a clean backup to an external hard drive the instant you get everything working.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I tried changing port 25 to 576 (or whatever) and it didn't work. The thing =is, her e-mail worked until the crash with exactly the same settings as now.

Anonymous said...

Why use email client software at all?

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Speaking for myself - because I want to.

JMcD said...

Talking to HP about problem...Wants me see if this will post.

OregonGuy said...

Spent a couple of weeks on this recently. I run XP, and installed all the latest updates. I had to do this manually. But, it's done.

A new tab was created on the "start" menu, "Set Program Access and Defaults."

After I changed some settings, Thunderbird began working again. And, of course, you know not to use port 25.

a hoopy frood said...

I'm totally with Casca here. Email clients are so 1990's. Besides client issues like you're having, if you switch internet providers, you lose your address and old emails.

I like yahoo mail myself. BTW: this post was written using Iceweasel in Crunchbang Linux. A rather nice combo.

Anonymous said...

Why I don't use on-line email:

I don't want my emails stored on someone else's server.
I have several email accounts and like a single client to view them, not several windows/tabs.

JMcD said...

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the problem.....Talked to HP to no avail....
"mmrnpoohhh".

JMcD said...

Hey!....It's working again....

OK. now I know what is was (or seems to have been)
When I had XP I found SilverLight to be a problem...
I am now on Windows 7 and I mistakenly assumed that SilverCrap would be OK....It's not ok.
It is Crap.
It's also gone!

JMcD said...

Thought I had the solution....Here's another try.

JMcD said...

Called HP about the problem to no avail.....
Still can't post...I guess.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.