Sunday, April 03, 2011

In the News - 1896 X-Ray Machine

1896 X-Ray Machine Fired Up Again
The pioneering device took 90-minute exposures and delivered a radiation dose 1,500 times greater than today's machines.




I bet most of you'ns thought the X-Ray Machine was invented by Sears Roebuck (above video) to measure proper shoe size, didn't you?  I know I did.  Actually, we're both sort of right.  That 1896 device is the same one Sears used.  It took 90 minutes, but there were no instructions that said that; kids just played with it that long before their moms came back from the linens floor and made them stop. 
Sears Shoe Flouroscope


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jones-Roberts Shoes in Lubbock,where Buster Brown's were sold had one of these. It's a wonder my feet haven't fallen off.
mary

Anonymous said...

Buster Brown shoes at GulfGate Shopping Center in Houston had them as well. Don't remember if they fit better or not.

Anonymous said...

The clothing store in my home town had one of these. It was called a Fluoroscope and I was told many a time to quit playing around on it. At the same time my dad had a uranium mine that we would fool around in from time to time and the gummint was setting off A-bombs a few miles upwind. Dad said that the dust in the gutter in front of his shop was a lot better grade than what he was mining. Maybe the Agent Orange I got later countered the ill effects.
Binky Nabob

clem said...

In Mumbai, they sweep the streets for gold dust and sell it. Imagine how much you could get for uranium.

Esteve said...

Maas Brothers department store, downtown Tampa, mid-fifties. I can still see the foot x-ray machine today in my near sixty year old mind. I never made the Buster Brown connection but that was the most popular brand for kids and Maas Brothers carried the full line. Just another "how did we survive?" story.

TimO said...

Columbus Ohio, early 60's... I remember something like that in a couple of the bigger shoe stores.
Then again we still had electric trolley busses until the mid-60s too...
It was a real cow-town in those days.

Anonymous said...

When I was kid living in Carroll County, MD you could find one of these at a shoe store in Westminister. That was in the late 50's.

Brigadier Major Mike

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.