Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Jew in Germany (or Berkeley?)

A Jew in Germany

  I’d been living in Germany for a couple years already. At that time, I had just moved into a small one-bedroom apartment in Leipzig with a shower in the kitchen. The boiler was also broken, so it was a cold shower in the kitchen. My windows looked out onto a concrete wall, an elevated train track, and some graffiti. I cycled my clunky East German bike around town, worked minimally, paid no rent, and lived pretty decadently.   

A Jew in Germany
One day when I didn't have much to do, I was milling around the music section at the big-box electronics store. I was looking at some indie band and started chatting with this other guy with great indie taste. He was about to go buy a record; I said I'd heard good things about it. He said, “Write down your address, I'll give you a copy." A few days later there was a stack of CDs at my doorstep. Charming! I texted thanks, and we set up a coffee date.

...  When he asked me where I was from, I told him that I was American and that my father was Israeli [...]
Alternate title: A Jew in Berkeley

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Heard that same line from West German's back in the 1980s...
Or the scarier version- " With America's military strength and Germany's leadership capabilities, we could RULE THE WORLD!"
I think it is in their DNA.
RAK

DougM said...

Yeah, they exist in large numbers.
Best response is to remind 'em that NATO was established not so much to sacrifice American wealth and blood to defend their undeserving hides from the Soviets, but to provide adult supervision to their quaint village of ex-Barbarians who don't play well with others so that scores of millions aren't slaughtered there any more.

Anonymous said...

I worked for a German-based company for several years and had to go over to their home offices numerous times. Yes they keep a LOT simmering undercover (more than a few slips in the bar- especially when they found about my own German heritage- were tucked into my noggin, making me realize they really haven't changed or would even admit their history.)

Know thy friends as well as thine enemies.

Anonymous said...

Got to admit that it will make for interestingreading when the German underclasses figure out what their leaders and the muzzie immigrants have planned for them.
emdfl

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Churchill who observed, "The Hun, either at your throat, or on his knees." Hell, maybe it was Caesar.

Casca

Corsair, The Mostly Harmless said...

I'm reminded of the words of Dennis Miller at the time of the Germqn East-West unification:

"If anyone present has reason why these two should not be joined, Speak now, or forever hold your piece, cocked and ready behind your back.."

Larry in Rochester

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Larry in Rochester - Clap-calp-clap

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.