Sunday, May 29, 2011

How Children's Brains Soak in Democrats

How Children's Brains Soak in Shocking News Stories
Or... what kids learn at home


Kids Coping?
Being a child in today's society can't be easy. Left and right there are wars raging, and shocking news is pretty much hitting us like there is no tomorrow. "In The Playroom" by Canadian photographer and art director Jonathan Hobin is a series of images that depict children reenacting major current events and headlines of our time. Including major news items such as 9/11, hurricane katrina, the north korean missiles, and the jonbenet ramsey trials, the collection juxtaposes the often devastating themes with the high-spirited setting of a kid's playroom.

"Just as children make a game of pretending to be adults as a way to prepare and ultimately take on these roles in later life, so too do they explore things that they hear or see, whether or not they completely understand the magnitude of the event or the implications of their play", Hobin says.


Kids Coping?
My first thought after perusing Hobin's works was "Berkeley!"

 I was wrong.

 He's Canadian.

 My second thought was "Hobin's a Vietnam draft dodger, and dope smoking hippie." 

I'm sticking with that one.  Because, obviously, since Hobin scripted, staged and produced this series, we may safely assume that he's transferred his world into the fantasy. He sees kids thinking like he does.  If they grew up under his influence, I imagine they do.

I reflected on how my own chirren respond to today's events, and which traumatize them to the point of wanting to escape through fantasy.   I had to go no further than the family album to get the answer.  Here then, unstaged, how real American kids —  who didn't grow up hating America react.

Kids Play 'Born In Hawaii '


5 comments:

Juice said...

.."we may safely assume that he's transferred his world into the fantasy. He sees kids thinking like he does." Your pics are more relevant. :)
Hobin's photos remind me of those who believe that children's genders are learned and not innate, eh? Give that boy a doll dammit!

Anonymous said...

Sorry mate, those kids were heavily coached, not inspired.
I have no doubt that the photographer supplied all the elements for the kids to construct the sets, and that the kids used pictures he supplied, not memories of things they had seen, to compose the tableaux.
Damn him fuck him for using those innocents. His 'art' is right up there with the 'piss Christ' fraud.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Ain't that what I said dick?

Anonymous said...

I should have said "...sorry mates", plural, meaning the world in general, not "mate" pointing to you Rodger. I'm sorry for the slip.
Indeed you did take them to the woodshed, but I'm not as polite as you. Being King and Chief Pilot, you have to keep some decorum, but being your Tailgunner, I'm allowed to get down in the mud and strafe those Mofos after you bomb them.
Gladly I serve.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

pdwalker said...

The real kids pictures are brilliant! I especially like the attention paid to the Kennedy shot.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.