Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sh*t

Buncha shit
I switched to Firefox 4 last week, and was initially pleased.  Then, after spending more time than I should have had to, to get Firefox to save open windows on closing (still not accomplished), this.  When I tried to post this morning I got the Blogger sign-in page.  I tried about 20 times without success.  Okay, I went to IE and signed right in using the same PW.  But I don't like IE, because it's like an old whore wearing stinky perfume.  It smells like a funeral parlor. But there you have it.

Last week I activated the Verizon cellphone my son Hucker gave me.  I never wanted one, but realized it was nice to have in case I drove to the store and forget where I was. He thought it was nice, because when that happened his mom called and told him, "go find your father."  This Verizon phone met my one criterion; it was a pre-paid account, so no additional Verizon bills. At 99/call, the initial $10 should last through Christmas, at least. 

Anyway, Mo Sup was out of town, so I called her with the number in case she had to reach me.  I also called my daughter and gave her the number.  I had a Dr. appointment, so in the waiting room I decided to check this thing out.  It was dead.  Not only was it dead, but even after charging it up, it was dead.  It's broke.  I tried to access My Verizon,  but I couldn't get in.  Why?  Because by now I had Firefox 4.1, and Roboform was no longer supported.  Since Verizon issues passwords every time you fart, over the years I've collected about a million of them.  I went down the list (using Roboform), but none worked.

 I don't need this shit.  I don't want this shit.   I hate this shit.  What a bunch of shit, wot?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is way too much organization in our lives. Hell, if you can't run from the law and change your name, or pick up a little money on the side without Big O finding out, it kind of takes the fun out of life.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Usually those prepaid accounts have an expiration date. If you don't make a payment before the date you lose the minutes. I doubt it will last to Christmas. (Since you didn't seem upset enough.)

Anonymous

DougM said...

Re: When I tried to post this morning I got the Blogger sign-in page. I tried about 20 times without success.

I had the same problem trying to comment a month or so ago. Even sent an email to you about it. Thought you were just sick'a my sh*t.
I got better.
Didn't even go through the "newt" stage.

Anonymous said...

Have ff4 on the laptop and still have 3 on the desktop. 4 isn't as good, it seems that Mozilla is going the way of Microsoft (we know what you want better than you do, so your previous customization is gone) like not having the old startmenu even available in Windows 7.

PromptCritical said...

I had the same problem when I upgraded. Here's how I fixed it:

One change in Firefox 4 is to by default stop Firefox displaying the warning message, but it can be turned back on by changing some preferences.

Type "about:config" into the location bar and press enter
Accept the warning message that appears, you will be taken to a list of preferences
Locate the preference "browser.tabs.warnOnClose", if its value is set to false, double-click on it to change its value to true
Repeat this for these 3 preferences "browser.warnOnQuit," "browser.warnOnRestart" and "browser.showQuitWarning"

vanderleun said...

Get the add-on Session Manager and install for the saving of the sessions.

bocopro said...

From about 1961 to around 1975 I was a pretty good elex tech. Fixed a shitload of mux equipment, UCC-1s on ships, KW-7s, 37s, KG-14s, SRTs, SRRs, and KW-26s, some with that red DaNang dust and various bullet or shrapnel holes in ‘em.

By the time I retired in 84, however, I had ridden a desk for so long that technology went by me like a supercharged GTO blowin past a Morris Minor with a blown head gasket. My mind still comfortable with triodes and pentodes and B+ and 35-watt soldering irons, I then got off the techshuttle and hitched my Rocinante to the cart pulling copies of dead Greek and English poets, spending the next 20 years wandering around the halls of acadaeme, teaching kids who didn‘t wanna learn about Sophocles or Milton or Descartes or Coleridge.

Today I have a computer, mostly ‘cause my wife bought me one and the university provided me free internet access, webpage, and e-mail. But it’s an old desktop, and I don’t own a laptop, or a notebook, or a kindle, or a cellfone, or a blackberry . . . hell, I don’t even have an electric razor. And not only do I NOT feel deprived by my lack of microminiaturized hi-speed constantly failing toys, but I’m quite smug in my ignorance.

pdwalker said...

painful.

have you tried chrome?

Trench Toe Tommy said...

Don't use Chrome. Use Chromium if you have Linux, or SRWare Iron if you have a Mac or PC.

But if you actually like being Google's bitch, by all means use Chrome.

Anonymous said...

I agree that technology can be a pain in the @$$ HOWEVER just yesterday I was sitting at a light unsure of where I was going and asked my smart phone for directions. Literally, I asked. After a few seconds a voice on the phone said, "take a left at the next light". Oh smartphone, you do have your moments. Had the battery been dead I would have thrown the damned thing into oncoming traffic.

TheOldMan said...

T-Mobile prepaid. $100/yr. That's all I have to say.

Anonymous said...

TabMixPlus has a session save/restore feature among many others. I used to disable it to allow FF3 to use it's own session manager. Now that Mozilla is screwing up all the desireable built in functions in FF4, TMP still works like it should. - Skyhawker, Doug

Anonymous said...

Check out Tracfone.com. Cheapest fone is $10. with double minutes for life. Buy four 60 min cards and you have one years service and 240 minutes for the year. Costs for cards are $20. each. Works out to $6.66 :) a month. Best deal yet... Dont thank me, I just lurk here.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.