Friday, September 09, 2011

Why people who don't use a Microsoft O/S will eventually go insane.

Why people who don't use a Microsoft O/S will eventually go insane.


I use Expatshield ( http://expatshield.com/ ) to watch on the REAL BBC.

Response to Hobson's Choice


Rotting AF1


I am about to tell you why people who don't use a Microsoft O/S will eventually go insane.

In the above referenced post I complained about not being able to watch any current Top Gear episodes.  Anonymous suggested  Expat Shield which I dutifully (and hastily) installed.  It's quite a hefty program, but finally I was able browse about the streets of London and the BBC. 
  • I found Top Gear.
  • I selected "watch the current episode (you have 18 hours left)
  • Message:  We're sorry but people like you who don't live in the UK are not allowed to view video,but you can listen to BBC radio.
Crapshit.  I uninstalled Expatshield, but  ... along with that program I also received "Bear Share."  It's a peer-to-peer share system that I used in the long ago.  It had hijacked the bottom rung of my Firefox menubar, so I closed it.  However, I noticed that while my Homepage dutifully opened with Firefox, opening new tabs took me to a Bear Share search page.

It's now 8:24 AM.  I began the process of deleting Bear Share/Menu Bar at 6:15 AM.  Here's some of what I did.  It didn't solve the problem, so I ripped my shirt off, jumped out of the trench and started killing everything.  House to house urban  warfare.  BLAM BLAM BLAM!  Dll carnage.  HKEY massacre.

Which brings me to my point.  Microsoft  is no different than our filthy government.  They know what's  best for us, and like it or not will shove it down out throats.  Once passed, it's impossible to get rid of. Don't like it?  Too bad.  Their judges won't listen to you, either.  Instead, they send you through a maze of useless FAQs, a process that assumes this is how you make your living wage.

While most rational people would relish being able to take on today's government in man-to-man combat,  we cannot.  Not alone, anyway.  But us WINDOWS users can take on a surrogate. Microsoft .  It's not easy.  You can't  get rid of any of Microsoft's nanny state dictates without all-out mobilization.  I mean all-out.  Leave the wife and kids to fend for themselves for the duration, as you grapple  in the muddy trenches that are  WINDOWS bowels.  But—  if you're persistent—  you can win.  You can kill  an embedded agent.  It feels fk'n  great.  Swollen manly pride!  BEAR SHARE IS DEAD!!! I killed it dead. USA UAS USA! It's like putting a hammerlock on Obama, or carpet bombing the DNC. Catharsis! Sanity!  Apple users have no such outlet, which is why they are often insane.



8 comments:

pdwalker said...

You know? I never thought of it that way before, as a training ground for perseverance against all odds.

You have the Wisdom of Solomon.

Anonymous said...

I should think a medal is in order.

Casca

B.S. philosopher said...

I use the TOR Proxy program to watch Dr. Who on the Beeb. You have to modify the configuration file (Torrc)to specify fast UK only exit points, but once you have it properly jiggered it works a treat.

Anonymous said...

BTW, is today's Woot a great deal, or what!

Casca

Anonymous said...

KISS MY APPLE ! ; ) > SMIBSID

Kristophr said...

A second vote for TOR.

It's maintained by the folks at EFF. They ain't taking money from idiots like Bear-Share.

I suspect that what happened with expat shield is that they only use the proxy to make initial page requests ( to keep their costs down ), but the actual stream is directed to your PC. The BBC caught wise to that.

With Tor, ALL usage is sent through the Tor network, as it was designed to be a free anonymity tool, and proof against prying government organizations.

( I started the expat shield installer, saw the tool-bar app warning, and noted that there was no way to not install the fucker, so I shut the installer down and deleted it. )

toadold said...

Sigh, I've got two sites I can't get into with Firefox, one site I can get into with IE and Chrome but it only runs at the right speed with Chrome....... then I've got other sites that will work the other two but not Chrome. I gave up trying to tweak a Browser that would work with everything now I'm using memory to maintain three browsers......The browsers will issue "upgrades" that will change everything around and then I'm off to the races again.

Anonymous said...

That right there is the funniest, most entertaining thing I've read in eons!!!

Perhaps it's because I can relate so well...

G-d bless you Rog!

Armageddon Rex

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.