Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Woot Back-up

Woot! Stuff




Woot


Check google shopping - everyone and their mother has this exact item, brand new, for considerably less. Woot has gone downhill since Amazon took over - this is but another example. (YES)

On the fence ... apparently it doesn't do system backups - only data files ... hmmm ... but amazon, cnet, and pcworld all gave raves. And the price is definitely good. Hmmm ...


These are great for people who aren't very good with computers but need a backup solution for their files. I got one for my dad and all he has to do is plug it into his laptop and it backs everything up automatically. It searches out and finds data files and you can also add folders manually that you want it to keep backed up.

This is probably not a good solution for someone who can setup their own backup on a standard external drive, knows what a NAS is, or is just looking for external storage.

Can't comment on the price however.


1TB version on sale at MicroCenter for 64.99...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366812


$30 cheaper on ebay !!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clickfree-R627NCR-1004-100-02-C2N-640GB-Portable-H_1139


I have this and when my computer fried a few weeks ago all I had to do on the new computer was install all the programs and then click restore.
They even walked me through it live on the phone...for FREE.
I am a big time Clickfree fan.


You're Welcome


7 comments:

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I ordered tje 1TB from Microcenter
Subtotal $64.99
Shipping $5.99
Tax $3.90 (WTF?)
Grand Total $74.88

Rodger the Real King of France said...

If I'd noticed MicroCenter was collecting tax I wouldn't have bought it.

BlogDog said...

The main Woot of 5 T shirts for $13 seems like a pretty darn good deal if I weren't already thigh deep in 'em. And I recently got a 1.8 kg barrel of kalamata olives (yum!) when the last Woot!off was going on. Looking forward to those tasty critters.

Anonymous said...

Only 1TB? I'd need one twice the size and in the future, much bigger. I just burn stuff. I get 100 packs of double layer dvds (8.5 gig capacity) for $40 at Microcenter. I'm lucky enough to have a brick and mortar store in my neighborhood. Burning as data, it takes about 15 minutes per disk. I have to spend a few hours every couple of weeks burning stuff just to make room for incoming video.
GrinfilledCelt

CarlS said...

Buy a second (or third) hard drive of equal or bigger size - for less, I might add.

Buy a copy of Second Copy for $39.95 at http://www.centered.com/

Try the Free Trial to see what it can do.

Set it up to auto-backup hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, et al.

Anonymous said...

Rodge: If I'd noticed MicroCenter was collecting tax I wouldn't have bought it.

Microcenter has a store in "Beltway/Rockville, MD", so they have to collect taxes because of their B&M 'presence'.
If you ordered from DE, they have no presence, so would collect no sales or use tax.
tomw

Desert Cat said...

Carl, by the time you buy the software you mention plus the second drive (or external drive if you're backing up a laptop) you're in for quite a bit more $$ than the price listed at Rodger's ebay link.

I had a Buffalo Link Station for several years plus some third party backup software to make this work. The link station died a year ago and my ass has been hanging out there exposed since. I like this solution a lot, because if I have to fuss with the backup solution once it is set up, it never happens despite the best intentions and then BAM!

I've got that ebay link bookmarked, Rodger. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.