Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Hucksters


Pioneers
sugarman-popiel-del femina 


I clicked a link from the Washington Times:

Dear Reader:

Something very big will happen in America within the
next 180 days.

It will be more devastating than the credit crisis of 2008.
For most people, it will hit them like a brick wall.

It will touch Americans harder and deeper than anything
else we've seen since the Great Depression.

Michael Lombardi feels so strongly about this, he's
decided to present his "Critical Warning Number Six" in a
new video.

Okay -  I clicked a link to the video and watched all of it - maybe 30 minutes long.  Here's why.

 I am a sales and marketing guy;  I love marketing  innovators.  You remember your first kiss;  I remember the first infomercial I saw.  At first I thought it was a television news broadcast, because of the set. This is ca 1990.   One guy was interviewing another guy about his great invention- something called Blu-Blocker Sunglasses.  The tone and tenor of the interview suggested that here, surely, was the cure for blindness.   After 10 minutes or so I realized this was a commercial, and was pissed about being duped. Was this legal?   But I kept watching.  And walked away excited by the technique.  Joe Sugarman, the brains behind that spot, and many others, immediately joined Ron Popiel and Jerry Della Femina  on my list of  ... heroes?  Yeah, I guess heroes is right.    

That's pretty much how I received Michael Lombardi's deal,  S-L-I-C-K!  Well done and captivating.  Yeah, after a few minutes it became obvious that he had something to sell, but he was informative and interesting.   His analysis of the recent economy, although more technical, is 'zactly what I envisioned way back on 9-11-2001—  when the stock market was attacked.  Here's the video, and I hope some of you will watch,  and maybe guess the identity of  his "secret"   ETF Or, you can read the spiel HERE, but then it becomes just another boring sales pitch.  [Here's the money shot I screen capped and condensed for them what can't wait (shhhh)]  Sorry for the intrusion, but I'm pumped up.   About something.  But forget what.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those guys are all villains to me... well, maybe just obnoxious a-holes at least. I have always been hostile to advertising. I have never sat through any infomercial and would immensely enjoy a test pattern or just static by comparison. I don't care if you have the best deal in the world on something I desperately need; don't call me, I'll call you.

I am always endlessly amused at Hulu's message saying that there is something preventing their "sponsor's messages" from loading and instructing me what to do to fix the "problem".
GrinfilledCelt

Steve In Tulsa said...

Listen to me tell you about how I am going to tell you something devastating. You will enjoy hearing it when I tell you what I am going to tell you when I tell about how I am telling you about the thing which is so amazing that I can hardly wait to tell you that I am going to share this with YOU and tell you after I tell how I am going to tell you when I tell you about telling you this most amazing thing! It is so amazing that I am telling you about how I will tell you when I tell you the thing that I am talking about when I tell you.

Anonymous said...

Yes Steve, it reminds me of the woman who on her wedding night to her third husband asked him to be gentle because she was still a virgin. He asked how that could be possible since she'd been married twice before? Well, she replied, my first husband eventually made it clear that he preferred my brother, and my second husband was a salesman, so all he did was talk about how great it was going to be.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Oh well, some people collect stamps.

Kim said...

Jerry Della Femina is proof that liberal cocksuckers can occasionally have a sense of humor.

Skoonj said...

Look, I thought the death of Billy Mays was a personal tragedy for his family. But I couldn't stand his infomercials. There he was, arms muscularly bent at the elbows, shouting at me. I don't miss those, though others have taken his place.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

As my past posts will attest, I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't count how many times Billy Mays woke me up after nodding off in front of the tube. The only good thing about his being on was that he motivated me to shut the thing off and go to bed.
GrinfilledCelt

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.