Friday, February 24, 2012

The Tudors




The Tudors

 


I watched the 40th and final episode of The Tudors yesterday, and it goes without saying that I liked the series. But I said it anyway.  English history buffs must suspend that urge to go bonkers over every factual liberty taken (they are legion), and just enjoy the head loppings and wench beddings.  Anyway, it reminded me of  a brilliant  "what if Henry VIII had written his memoirs ... ." book I read some years ago (and intend to reread),  The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers.   I love this literary device of docu-dramatizing history through a third person (e.g. Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All);  in this case it's Henry's Fool Will Somers.  Great fun, and historically accurate.  




3 comments:

DougM said...

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed that royal soap opera, too, with its superb production values and boobies.
Monarchy is so deliciously vile.
It's ... it's almost as if one were watching "The Kennedys."

Anonymous said...

I actually cried when Sir Thomas and Ann were beheaded. they did that good of a job making you feel for them.

Anonymous said...

Thomas More is my 12th greatgrandfather, so you better do as I say.
That doesn't work?
Ok, just see "A Man For All Seasons" and enjoy a terrific period piece; Best Picture - 1966.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.