Monday, April 30, 2012

"... vices are without consequences, but ridicule can kill"

                                                                        Catharsis
Six years before the French Revolution Louis XVI ruled, but wit was king, prompting the Duke of Guines to observe
In this country, vices are without consequences, but ridicule can kill.
After watching the Jimmy Kimmel  roast below,  I was reminded of the movie  Ridicule

.Charles Berling stars as a cash-poor nobleman during the reign of Louis XVI. When his village is invaded by mosquitoes, he travels to Versailles to beg for the king's help. But his plans are soon diverted when he's swept into a love triangle. To survive Versailles and solve his problem, he must rely on his wit and smarts. Nominated for a 1996 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film, Ridicule co-stars Fanny Ardant and Judith Godreche. (Based on a true story) 

Highly recommended, especially for the witty engineers among you. The video clip contains the only NSFW material, but it's a doozy, and what caused me to think instantly of Obama and Ridicule. NetFlix of course.


 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is why I don't receive visitors.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Far less brutal than what Don Francesco got!
Tim

RavingDave said...

Ridicule is an excellent movie! I liked it so well I bought a copy. I have watched it several times, and I often show it to friends that haven't seen it during my occasional movie watching gatherings.

If you like foreign movies, I heartily recommend "Friend of the Deceased." It will turn up your Irony level to an "11"!

King of Masks is good, as is Kung Fu Hustle, Brotherhood of the Wolf, etc.

I personally think we all should watch more foreign movies. Why? To take money out of the pockets of those American B*stards in Hollywood who are damaging our culture and society! Let us deprive the Liberal propagandists of their comfort, and make them pay a price for their anti-American attitudes.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Rav'nDave, I pretty much only watch foreign movies anymore because I don't get distratcted by the actor's asshat politics, and I don't give a crap about their countries (except I like the UK). Plus, I've discovered that a lot of American movies are knock-offs of foreign films, and rarely done better.

toadold said...

American movies have gotten bad enough that I even prefer S.Korean movies. Lady Vengeance (2005)
Chinjeolhan geumjassi (original title)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.