Sunday, June 24, 2012

Crisis- cause and effect?

TECHNO THRILLS                      



CLICK FOR SPECS

I waited as long as I could for Helly to buy me an Apple, and  pulled the trigger on this a few days ago.  No delivery info yet, but can't be soon enough.  The clincher was the the 2TB hard drive.  It was not so long ago the the drive alone cost more than the machine.  Here's something else the gob-smacked me. I'm taking my down time opportunity to to clean up my mess, like deleting old programs I had installed, and have no idea why.  Here I threw out Power Director


... using IOBit (Advance System Care).  Look at the crap that was left in the registry after running the Windows uninstall program.  Can you imagine?  Not all are this bad, but there are always at least a dozen registry items left.  By the by, I'm not entirely sure that Advance System Care was not responsible for my problems. Drew (from Moonbattery) had earlier sang its praises, so maybe not. 

Years ago, I think it was SondraK who observed, "I don't know anyone who has more problems with their computer than you, and it's all because you keep installing software you don't need."  I didn't listen then, and I prolly won't now, because I like to create crisis in my life, or so it seems. Maybe because I miss the adrenaline rush from parachuting into occupied France, and stealing library books from Nazi General Choltitz- for kicks.  But, that episode, and the reprimand,  is still officially Top Secret.

13 comments:

Jess said...

I recommend CCleaner. Check the registry and delete the crap that's left during program installation.

Darrell said...

Ditto for CCleaner. Run the cleaner, then run the registry check. I also use and like MalwareBytes, the pro version.

TimO said...

Giant hard drives are great, but here's a tip: A half-terrabyte hard drive for Windows and your programs is all you need and keep it cloned for easy replacement.
Put your MyDocuments and personal data on an external USB drive so when your system upchucks it doesn't take everything else with it.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I used CC Cleaner for years, but it fell out of my favor when it began deleting data from User files, causing me considerable work to restore. Still, it's a very good program, but per the above post, I am an inveterate adventurer.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Tim O, how do you know what files I have squirrels away on external disk drives? There's also the matter of disk caching memory ..Bottom line, you never have too much disk space,or processing, especially if your hobby is audio/visual, or self manipulation.

pdwalker said...

that's a steal

pdwalker said...

I love the computer industry and Moore's law.

hang onto your shorts, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Jim - PRS said...

I truly wish I knew what everyone is talking about.

Jess said...

I guess that's why I like Ccleaner. You have that power, which is the same power you feel when you've finally had enough, nuke and pave the hardrive and thumb your nose at Microsoft. That's the spirit that helped the people that started this country.

Mac? If I wanted Mac, I'd spend 25 cents at Walmart and buy a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

Bleh!

Anonymous said...

Hell Boss , I'll give you my old G-4 MAC ! It still has loads of naked pics of the x-wife , and a few old girlfriends ! You'll still be ahead of the game ! I'll deliver the sumbich , just to save you all of this p-c drama ! ; ) > SMIBSID

Helly said...

*smacks forehead*

Sry, Rodge. With Tropical Storm Debby, we've been lashing down everything that weighs less than a ton.

My MacBook Air has dust on the screen, so you could have that. It drives a 27 inch Cinema Display up to 2560 px wide. Really nice to have a huge desktop and skinny portable all-in-one. The new Retina Display is out, so I have to upgrade anyway.

Once you have experienced a flash storage drive, you could never go back to a disk.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Okay Helly, I'll pay the postage and use it to find out if Apple is actually good.

Anonymous said...

Glad yer havin fun!

e~C

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.